4

Chapter 4

𝑃𝐴𝑅𝐾 𝑆𝑂𝑂𝐻𝑌𝑈𝑁

I badly wanted that coffee date with Jungkook. I wanted to talk to him, just the two of us.

But a whole week went by with the chance constantly slipping away from my grasp. It was either Jungkook or me who was busy. Our jobs were forcing to get in the way. Other than that, I had an intuition that he was blowing it off on purpose. Whatever reason behind that, I didn't have an idea. The only thing that I was sure of was I definitely had to do something to get close to him.

I'd had enough. I never worked on my feelings for years. Giving up was futile now.

I was discussing one of my team patients' medical history with our assistant professor Dr. Kim Seokjin while we were walking in the hallways when I saw Jungkook with a woman. I bet she was from his department. They looked like they were having fun as they sipped their cups of coffee. Though it was inappropriate, I felt mad watching them... I knew that wasn't sort of a coffee date, but the idea that Jungkook might have a girlfriend gave me a headache. Don't look. She's just a co-worker.

But what if she happened to be his girl? Okay. Fine. I wouldn't stoop low to ruining a relationship. Yet I was too certain I would have my heart broken. For years I believed he was my first love. Jungkook was the only man I wanted for myself, and I knew that as soon as I liked him, there was a competition.

Glancing back to where I had seen them together, I noticed they were gone.

"I need the report today. I expect you'll have it finished by the time I ask for it," Dr. Kim said sternly. I nodded, and before he could leave, he asked me, "Lunch, Doctor Park?" His brows were raised, his voice a little expectant.

"You're inviting me to lunch?" I wanted to confirm. He was nice, but it had only been a few times that we interacted, mostly because of work. And I was being unfair that I disliked him a bit since he slightly embarrassed me—though it was probably unintentional—during the pimping where he asked each one of us in the team questions in our rounding. I was quizzed the most; half of the questions rapidly thrown at me were ones I wasn't able to answer. It was a lot of pressure when people were watching me. The patients must have concluded I wasn't smart enough to be a doctor. Dr. Kim Seokjin even mocked me by saying 'What did they teach you in med school?'

I almost snapped back if only I didn't remind myself he was my senior and practically an attending.

"If it's okay with you," he said. This time he was smiling a little. He was actually good-looking. But I wouldn't dare to date, let alone fantasize a boss. Office fraternization was a huge NO in my book.

"I have to refuse now I agreed to eat with a friend. I'm sorry, Doctor," I apologized, feeling a crease on my forehead. He nodded at once which proved it was absolutely alright on his part. Then, he looked serious for a moment, looking at me closely.

"Don't forget about the report," he said like he knew I couldn't comply to my assignments.

"Consider it done, Doc."

I had other plans now. Where's Taehyung?

After putting back the files onto my desk, I went straight to the cafeteria and spotted the person I was looking forward to talk to digging in his food alone. I cheered in my head. It was hard to see him without someone by his side. I assumed he liked company so much. I wasn't surprised anymore; he was inseparable with his best friend back in med school and it used to annoy me before. Without notice, I occupied the seat across from him, straightening my back. "Hi." I flashed him a smile.