Chapter 1: The Apprentice

Art by @Shmeckdoesstuff on Twitter!

"Shall I pick these too?", asked Tommy, next to me. I smiled at Philzas youngest, giving him a nod of approval as he held a herb. He was just 4 years old, but he was a handful; I chuckled as he struggled with the bag I gave him. "Struggling, gremlin?", I smirked. Tommy puffed his cheeks as he ignored me and kept dragging the bag.

I laughed and ruffled his hair, we made our way through the forest as Tommy complained about his boots getting muddy. This was his usual way of letting me know he was exhausted. He was always excited to join me but I always kept in mind that he was still a child. My arms quickly scooped him up and a chuckle escaped my lips as he wrapped his arms around my neck. The bag that Tommy had was now fastened to my hip, making it easier for me to carry him. "Might have to find a better apprentice.", I joked. Tommy immediately protested about this, making me laugh.

"Please don't leave me home! Mum makes me study the books all day!", whined the tiny mage. I couldn't imagine my field trips without Tommy, even though he was a handful, he was very helpful. Wilbur also took turns with me on my walks through the forest. When he was around he showed Tommy new things and play pranks on their father.

Recently though, Wilbur would leave and not come back until late at night. He worried me but he always came back with a bright smile. He explained that his wings were getting stronger so he'd go off to explore. He always came back with gifts for all of us or went on errands for Kristen.

My thoughts vanished as the sound of branches could be heard breaking close to us, I quickly hid behind a tree. Tommy froze and I softly patted his back reassuringly; he hid in my cloak. I sighed as two figures stopped close by to the tree we were hiding behind.

"Think we'll find those mages?", sighed a man. Slowly peering around the tree, there stood a man with a white mask and his companion, a man with a large crossbow. "I think it'll be the best gift George gets this birthday!", smirked the man with the weapon. They started to walk down the path, my thoughts could only bring up my Masters since they were the only Mages in the forest. My duty as their apprentice was to protect them and their family since it was the least I could do to thank them.

I concentrated and chanted a spell; a pack of crows surrounded the men before my body went into a full sprint towards the cabin. "(Y/n)! I'm scared!", cried Tommy into my cloak. His small hands gripped onto my shirt as my arms covered him protectively. "It's like a game of tag, Toms! Don't be scared, big man!", I grinned. He nodded and kept hidden under my cloak to my relief.

A sudden pain spread on my forearm making me wince before taking a look at it. The crows that decorated my skin were now back on there, alarm bells sounded in my head. Those two men were definitely not normal and I had underestimated them while I had Tommy.

Shit... they can use magic?!

I heard shouts and knew that they had heard or seen me. Tommy gripped my cloak harder as we jumped over logs and trenches. "See nothing to worry about, Tommy.", I whispered. I felt an arrow whiz by my head and regretted the words that I had just said to the child, he had to be taken home at that very moment. I jumped down into a trench and chanted another spell, a large black wolf whined as he rubbed his head on my thigh.

"Okay, Tommy! Time to go home!", I smiled as I placed him on the wolf. Tommy begged me to go with him but I only smiled before covering him with my cloak. "Be a good egg now...", I whispered before sending him off to his parents. I felt reassured as I saw Tommy and my familiar disappear in the fog that had appeared with my spell.

"Hands up, Witch!", shouted one of the men. I sighed and put my hands in the air, I turned slowly as they started coming into the ditch. Two hunters, on closer inspection the one with the white mask wore a green cloak and his white mask had a smile painted on it. The other man with the crossbow wore a white cloak and a white bandana on his forehead. Witch Hunters were common among the Hunters but to see some in the forest was very new to me.