Chapter 33: Brave Little Theseus

Art by @Clint_Oriel on Twitter!!

Ranboo struggled to get up as the carriage had been demolished, a sharp pain made him groan as he held his side. The Prince's sight focused to his left to see Tubbo, he lay unconscious next to him, he, unfortunately, had blood on his face from various cuts. Ranboo quickly looked for Tommy. His eyes widened as he saw Tommy fighting against a lot of monsters, one of his wings looked broken and his body was covered in blood. The Prince knew that they had been ambushed on the higher level of the mountain, someone had planned their route out before leaving Triox. Ranboo quickly scooped Tubbo in his arms and shouted at Tommy, he had to let him know that he had regained consciousness. Tommy turned as he heard Ranboo, he growled as more monsters appeared, if the heir of Veri died, there would be chaos. The God of Fortune sighed before he used his wings to throw the monsters away, a sickening crack alerted Tommy that his right wing would no longer be useful to him. As the snow died down from his attack, Tommy saw him, the Hunter was behind some trees watching the show, the boy's body froze as noticed that Dream's attention was on Ranboo: his brother, his best friend, and the future King.

"GET OUT OF HERE WITH TUBBO, RANBOO!", shouted the young man. Ranboo refused as he couldn't imagine abandoning Tommy there by himself. The pain he was feeling was quickly replaced with adrenaline as he quickly put Tubbo down and grabbed a bow. He quickly began to shoot the monsters closest to Tommy and shouted at him to go with them. Tommy growled before he noticed that Dream was gone from his hiding spot. "Okay! Lead the way, Ranboo. I'll follow, just take Tubbo!", shouted Tommy. He ran and took the bow from the Prince and began to shoot, they made it to the stone bridge that led them one step closer to home. "Cross it! There's still a lot of them behind us.", said Tommy, pulling the string back to release two arrows. Ranboo nodded and began to run across, the prince felt the air leave him more and more, he wanted to succumb to the darkness but refused as he kept running. Once he placed both feet on the other side, the bridge exploded. "TOMMY!!!", shouted Ranboo. He was in disbelief as he saw his friend grinning at him. "Go home, Ranboo! Tell my sister not to worry so much! Also tell everyone that I love them a lot!", laughed the boy. He had an arm outstretched and Ranboo felt his body being surrounded, a murder of crows had begun to lift him up. He shouted and struggled but it was to no avail, he and Tubbo were being taken somewhere safe by Tommy's familiars.

Tommy sighed as he turned, his familiars were his last hope of taking his friends away from the danger. He quickly chanted and burned down all of the monsters to reveal Dream standing there, waiting. "You found me out so quickly, Tommy!", smiled the man. His mask was on the side of his face yet his eyes were pitch black. "Don't use his voice, you bastard.", growled Tommy, spreading his good wing and releasing the last of his energy. The man before him laughed and sighed as he wiped away an imaginary tear. "You are indeed the Childe of Death and Life... Those two also had a way of figuring me out... I wonder how your brother felt to be killed by the image of his beloved wife.", smiled the entity. Tommy felt his earrings start to glow, he wore both his and Wilbur's since that was both Sally's and Fundy's request. Tommy glared at the entity that was using his friend to talk and move, Wilbur had probably figured out that Sally wasn't his killer.

"It's okay... Wilbur would never blame his wife even if she did decide to kill him.", spat the boy. The thing before him needed to be stopped and as soon as possible but his body was shaking, Tommy hated to admit it but he was scared. "If you thought you could kill Ranboo you were an idiot.", sighed Tommy after calming down. Dream was now in front of the boy and looked ready to annihilate the small God. Tommy quickly punched him and a barrier formed around them, he had been chanting the spell under his breath and had found the perfect opportunity to strike.

He can go after them... They're nowhere near our home... I have to keep him here until they reach the outskirts of the kingdom...

Tommy's thoughts ceased as he saw Dream get up and dust the snow off himself. "You're strong, boy... I wonder how much your parents will suffer after I kill you and then that bitch they call a daughter.", grinned the creature. Tommy's mind went red, he would never allow this entity to lay a finger on his sister ever again. "Even after you kill me, you will never lay a finger on (Y/n).", growled Tommy. He rushed at the Hunter before gripping his face, the Hunter saw it before Tommy could notice it, his eyes were red now. Tommy was awakening his God form without knowing. The entity growled as Tommy slammed him into the ground, placing a spell on Dream's body before jumping back. The creature also had noticed that Tommy was immune to his powers to stop time and that would be dangerous for his plans. At that moment, both parties knew that the other had to die for the following two reasons. First was that the barrier that Tommy had made was using his life force and that wouldn't disappear until Tommy or Dream died. The second was the fear that was growing in the entity's mind, if Tommy lived then that meant Tommy could free Dream from its grasp.