Chapter 19: The Hunt

I gasped as my eyes opened, to my dismay, I was on a snowy road that was outside of Veri. I frowned and got up, there were no people out and everything was in ruins. "What happened?", I frowned as I began to look around. I heard the whining of horses and headed that way, my lips formed into a deeper frown as I noticed that it was a black carriage with a group of soldiers. "What's going on?", I demanded. The men didn't even react to my voice so I sighed and began to get closer, that's when I saw him. A tall man with ice blue hair, he slapped a child and the poor boy fell to the ground. "HEY!", I cried and ran over to the boy. I knelt down but the boy didn't react to my touch, I looked up and my eyes widened as a pair of bright green eyes looked down on the child next to me. "Pathetic... To believe my sister gave birth to such a weak child...", growled the man. He reached down before gripping the boy's hair to pull him up, I tried to separate them but it was all useless.

What's going on?! Where am I? Why can't I attack this man who's hitting this boy!

Something in my mind clicked as I looked at the man with more attention, those features he possessed were no more than traits of the infamous tyrant in the history books of Veri. The man before me was none other than Victor, The Tyrant of Veri.

Why am I seeing Victor?! This man was killed off years ago...

The King smirked at the boy, I looked at the boy who bored his red eyes into the Tyrants green ones. The man threw the boy against the ground and lifted his foot. I felt useless as I could only watch how the man tortured the child. The man stopped and I looked over to see a familiar face smiling at the Tyrant. "Sire... Please forgive the child... He is still young and a bit useless to be your stepping stool.", said Mark. He was the same as always except that his eyes were red and his hair was black instead of his familiar brown hair and blue eyes.

Mark! What's going on!!?

The Tyrant scoffed before he shook Mark's hand away from him, Victor removed a whip on the side of his waist. "Then you won't mind the punishment of not only protecting the child but also speaking when not being spoken to.", growled Victor. I saw the man who was my butler clench his fists before lowering his head in acceptance. The boy looked at the men and tried to speak but Mark gave him a stern look and the boy became still as one of the guards came over to pick him up. I followed the guard and saw how he began to tie the injured child to the back of the carriage. "Please forgive me, sire...", whispered the guard. His eyes full of pity and sorrow looked into the boy's eyes. "Please stop the king!", begged the boy. His voice was weak and hoarse probably from the lack of water. My gaze went back to Mark and the Tyrant but that felt like a mistake. The sight before me was devastating, I had met Mark when I arrived in Veri to train with Techno and noticed that he always wore long sleeves. My explanation for that was that he wished to keep his skin from tanning but at that moment I knew the truth.

As Mark knelt there on the snowy and muddy road did the truth reveal itself to me. His entire body was covered in scars, from old ones that looked like he received in a war to whip lashes that were being given to him by the Tyrant. Anger boiled in me as the Tyrant laughed while whipping the man that was one of my people. The guards all looked terrified and just stood there while Mark was being punished. "Why won't anyone do anything...", I whispered. I knelt next to Mark and felt tears fall down my face as I saw how his face contorted in pain, voices cheered inside the carriage and I glared over to see many men that looked to be mercenaries.

If I could I'd kill this man and all of those disgusting people inside that carriage...

Once the punishment was over and the Tyrant entered his carriage, Mark was tied to the back of the carriage alongside the child. The boy sobbed quietly as he looked at the fresh wounds on the man. "You always protect me... Why?", sobbed the boy. I also questioned why Mark would protect the child. I saw Mark smile even though he was clearly in pain, he winced as the carriage was getting ready to depart. "Guards... I ask for a humble favor. Tie my waist and allow me to carry the boy, I swear on my name that I won't run away...", said Mark. The guards looked ashamed but immediately did as the man asked. After that, they didn't say anything and lowered their head in shame as they followed behind. "It's because your mother begged me to protect you, Techno...", whispered Mark, carefully hiding Techno. I could see that Techno wanted to sob as he wrapped his tiny arms around our butler.