Chapter 11

I loved driving around in my new car. I mean absolutely loved it. There was construction going on in my cafe for a couple of weeks so I had nothing to do. I've been spending a lot of time scanning through my moms old recipes. I forgot about a lot of the things she used to cook.
As I drove to Austin and Kane's office, I thought it would be nice to bring them lunch. Given everything they've done for me, it's the least I could do. I also had a favor to ask of Austin. I needed someone to accompany me to the wedding and I wanted it to be him.
I grabbed Japanese and continued to drive toward the office. I parked next to Kane's car and got out. The elevator opened just as I got to it.
"Kane," I smiled. "I got you lunch."
"I was just about to go do that," he laughed. "Thank you." He kissed my cheek and we rode the elevator up quietly. I began to think about what I had been doing over the past few weeks.
I was participating in a relationship with two men. What am I doing?
When we made it to the top floor, I began to chicken out on asking Austin a favor. I panicked. Why am I sleeping with two men? What will Kane think if I just ask Austin to go to the wedding with me? What did I get myself into?
"Anna," Kane called.
"Oh," I said. "I'm coming."
I stepped into Austin's office and he looked up.
"Hey," his smile lit up his face.
I couldn't help but smile back and all my problems fell away. Nothing compared to Austin, not even Kane. This was never my intention but Austin just made me feel different than I ever have. I know that eventually I'm going to have to tell him. Tell them both actually. I just don't want to hurt Kane.
"I brought lunch. Kane is already devouring his in the kitchen."
"Thank you," he said, standing up. He walked toward me and I felt my nerves starting up again.
He pushed my bangs behind my ear. "You okay?" He whispered.
"Yeah, uh, I just have a favor I need to ask you."
"Anything," he grinned.
"I need someone to go with me to a wedding and I was hoping you would go." I swallowed hard, looking down.
"I would love to," he said. "But what about Kane?"
"I don't want to hurt his feelings but I really just want to take one man. Less attention if I only have one."
He laughed quietly. "Okay, I'll make something up. When is it?"
"Friday, it starts at 5."
"Okay," he leaned down and kissed me. "I'll be at your house Friday at 4."
I nodded and handed him his food.
"Well, I'm gonna head out." I began to walk toward the elevator.
He grabbed my hand. "No you're going to sit with me while I eat."
I grinned at him. "Okay."
We walked past Kane on our way to the kitchen. "Hey, I'm going down to talk to Morgan about something real quick." He smiled at me. "And in case I don't see you before you leave," he kissed me.
I pulled away quicker than I should and shot a tight smile at him. He looked at me confused but shook it off and walked to the elevator.
I turned to Austin who looked a bit jealous.
"You okay?" I asked.
"Yeah. Good."
I nodded and followed him to the kitchen.
_____________________
Austin ate lunch quietly, not saying much.
"Austin," I said. "Are you sure that you're okay?"
"Yeah, I'm fine Anna."
I nodded, defeated. "Okay, well I'm going to head back home."
He nodded and walked with me to the elevator.
He stopped me before I could press the button. He wrapped his fingers around mine and leaned his forehead into mine. I closed my eyes and sighed. I could do this forever.
When I opened them, he was looking at me, searching for something.
"What are you doing to me?" He whispered.
I stayed silent, waiting for him to elaborate. He didn't.
Finally, he pulled away and walked back to his office. I stayed there. My feet suctioned to the floor, not letting me leave.
I finally gained some balls and walked to his office.
He was standing at the window, staring at the buildings in front of him.
"You are going to tell me what you mean by that."
"No, Anna. I'm not."
"Yes you are!"
"I can't," he whispered.
"Why?" I groaned in frustration.
"I can't do that to you or to my brother."
"What are you talking about?"
"You!" He yelled. I flinched and he lowered his voice. "I have never had issues with sharing a woman with my brother. Until you. Okay?"
I stared at him.
"I don't know what it is about you but I hate watching him kiss you. I hate seeing him touch you. But I can't do anything about it." He ran his hands through his hair and walked back to the window. He tugged at his tie, causing it to come loose.
"I'm sorry," I spoke almost silently.
The elevator dinged, signaling Kane's return. He walked into the room and I forced a smile, hiding what I really felt.
"Hey beautiful," he smiled.
"I'm gonna head out. I'll see y'all later," I said.
Kane grabbed me by the waist and planted another light kiss on my lips. When he pulled away, I looked over at Austin. He was now turned toward the two of us, his eyes hard, showing no emotion. I dropped my head and walked out.