Chapter 12

Since construction was still going to be happening for another couple weeks, I decided to take a trip. I began to pack all my clothes and booked a flight.
I called my friend Alex. Calli, Alex and I were the three amigos in school. She and I were never as close as I am with Cal but she was still a great friend. She also was a great excuse for a getaway.
"Hey, where are you going?" Calli asked when she walked through the door.
"Alex's, wanna come?"
"Uh, yeah! How long will we be gone though? I have classes Friday."
"Well considering I have to be back for the wedding Friday-"
"Wait you're actually going?"
"Not alone, but yes."
"Okay good, continue."
"Anyways," I laughed. "We'll be back by Thursday."
"Okay sounds good. A two day trip is exactly what we need."
I laughed. "Okay, I'll book your ticket. Go pack."
We were on the plane a few hours later.
Alex was there when we landed. We all did a squealing girl thing upon seeing each other and of course everyone in the airport rolled their eyes but we didn't care.
"So, Alex," I began. "How is Maine treating you?"
"Great, I met this great guy. And," she shot her hand out in front of us. Sitting on her left hand was a giant rock.
"Oh my God!" Calli screamed.
"I know!"
"I'm so happy for you Alex." I laughed.
We all decided to get lunch at a little restaurant that Alex raved over.
"So what's going on with you two?"
"Well," Calli started. "I found my real family. Let me rephrase that, Anna found my real family."
"Wow! Really? That's great! Who are they?"
"Well I only have two older brothers. Rich older brothers." I laughed.
"Who?" Alex pushed.
"The Carter brothers." Alex's jaw dropped.
"Oh my God. No way. The hot Carter brothers?" I felt a twinge of jealousy but quickly dismissed it. This was one of my best friends. She wouldn't do something like that.
"And get this," Cal said. "Anna is dating them."
"Them?" Alex asked.
"Well I'm not dating them. They were my bosses and I quit because things got out of hand and now we just are friends, you know. We hang out occasionally."
"They bought her a car."
"Cal!" I yelled.
"They are totally smitten with her and she refuses to see it."
Alex laughed but then looked at me seriously. "Just be careful okay?" She said. I nodded and smiled at her reassuringly.
The rest of the evening was filled with laughs and lots of wine.
_________________
Our two day trip went by way too quickly. Although the tears were shed upon our departing, I was ready to get back to my own bed.
When we got to my apartment, I headed straight to my room, exhausted.
Soon enough, I was in a deep sleep.
It was short lived. Suddenly, my door burst open and Austin stood in front of me.
"Thank God," he sighed and crawled into bed with me.
"Where have you been?"
"Maine. Calli and I visited a friend."
"I was worried sick Anna. You should've told me. I couldn't find my sister or you."
"I'm sorry," I yawned. "I didn't mean to keep it from you. I texted Morgan."
"Her phone broke. Kane broke it the other day."
"That explains why she didn't text back. How'd he break her phone?"
"Stepped on it."
I giggled. "Sasquatch."
"Why didn't you answer my calls?" He asked.
"I turned my phone off after we got on the plane and I just never turned it back on."
He chuckled and kissed the top of my head. "Get some rest."
I nodded against his chest and fell back asleep.
_____
I woke next to a sexy man staring at me.
"Why are you staring like that?"
"Because you're beautiful."
"Oh don't be cheesy." I laughed. "I've gotta get a shower and get ready for the wedding."
"Yeah I have to go back to the house and get a tux. I'll be back in an hour." He kissed me lightly and got out of bed.
I smiled at his retreating back, still unaware of the pain I was about to face.