Chapter 24

Morgan and I found a club we thought would be relatively safe. Away from the Carter brothers and away from Bryce.
"Let's get a drink," she said.
I followed her to the bar and we were immediately hounded by men. Apparently Morgan found one of them appealing because next thing I know, she's on the dance floor with him.
I grab my drink from the bartender and take a seat on the barstool.
I was so concentrated on making sure Morgan was still doing okay that I didn't realize who was next to me.
"I thought this bar would be a safe resort," a masculine voice muttered. I turned and there he was.
"Austin," I breathed.
"The one and only."
A girl scooted her way between us.
"Are you Austin Carter? The Austin Carter. You're so hot," he squeaky voice chirped. I rolled my eyes and he smirked at me.
"I'm not interested. You actually just interrupted a conversation that my girlfriend and I were having."
She jerked back and looked at me. "Her?" She growled.
"Sweetheart," I began. "If you want a man like Austin Carter, don't try so hard. Oh, and also, dress more appropriately. Men like him want classy women for girlfriends and wives. They only want trashy ones for hook ups."
She scoffed and walked away.
I heard Austin chuckling beside me.
"What?" I snapped.
"Jealous?"
"No! Just offended by her shocked expression that I would be your girlfriend."
"I wish you were," he muttered.
"Wish I was what?"
"My girlfriend."
I dropped my eyes to my lap. "Austin-"
"Yeah I know."
"No you don't. I-"
I heard a woman's loud laughter on the dance floor and I glanced for just a second when I caught his eye. Kane is here. His arms were wrapped around a pretty blonde who was sucking his neck off.
"Kane," I muttered.
Austin jerked up and grabbed me, pulling me out of the bar.
He pulled me around the side of the building and pressed me against the wall while pressing his whole body to the front of mine.
"What-" I began. He put his fingers to my lips and looked deep in my eyes.
He shook his head once.
"Anna?" I heard Kane's voice.
He called me again and again, but I stayed quiet, pressed against all of Austin.
Austin peeked around the corner after a moment of silence.
"He's gone."
"Why did you drag me away from him?"
"He's really drunk Anna. You don't need to see him like that. You won't choose him if you do. I want you to see him at his best at all times."
Austin still was trying to make me choose Kane. After everything.
He grabbed my hand and pulled me back to the street. We began walking away from the club.
"I have to go back to Morgan."
"I'll go tell her that you're with me. Just wait here."
He ran back into the bar.
Why is Austin trying so hard to make me pick Kane? Is it just because he wants his brother to be happy or is it because of something else?
Austin walked back out of the club.
"Do you not want me?" I blurted.
He stopped. "What?" He asked.
"Nothing," I said, turning away from him. "Never mind."
I began walking away.
"Anna," he called.
I kept walking.
"Anna," he tried again.
I still kept walking.
"Anna! Dammit! Stop."
I stopped but I didn't turn toward him.
My head was facing the ground and his feet came into view in front of me.
His fingers gripped my chin and pulled my head up.
His eyes bore into mine, searching for something. Permission, maybe.
He began to lean in.
"No," I said.
I turned away.
"Anna," he whispered.
"It hurts."
"What does?"
"You're trying so hard to make me want Kane but I don't. I don't want Kane, Austin."
"What do you want?"
I stayed silent for a moment. He grabbed my hand. I looked down at our hands, fingers laced.
"Anna," he said. "What do you want?"
I shook my head to clear it. "I just want to go home right now."
"Answer my question."
I pulled my hand from his and tried walking around him. He stepped in front of me.
"Stop," I muttered.
"Stop what?"
"Trying to make me be with him."
"Is that all you want?" He said.
I shook my head. "No."
"What else do you want? You can tell me."
I looked up at him. "You."
His body crashed to mine and his lips found mine with ease. I felt my body explode at the contact. I kissed him with everything I had. Tears began falling down my cheeks. He pulled away and leaned his forehead against mine.
"I love you," he whispered.
"I love you." I smiled.