Chapter 19

The walk to the Carter house was excruciatingly long. Every scenario of what could happen played out in my mind. I honestly don't know what I'm doing. Why am I walking to their house? What am I doing? I should just turn around and go back home. But my feet wouldn't let me. I continued walking and when I got to the gate I hesitated. I didn't want to buzz the intercom because I knew the key code but at the same time I didn't want to just sneak into their house. So I buzzed.
"Yes?" Austin's voice came through the speaker and I panicked.
"Hello?" He repeated.
"Uh, yes. I have a package for Mr. Carter." I said in a manly voice. I slapped my palm to my head. What the hell Anna?
"Come on through."
The gate began to open and I slowly walked to the door. I knocked and Austin opened it.
"Really Anna? You have a package for me? You do know we have cameras on the gate right?"
"I panicked."
He sighed. "What are you doing here Annabelle?"
"I honestly don't know. I just went for a walk and couldn't stop my feet from walking here."
"You walked here?" He looked worried. "Are you okay?"
"I'm fine Austin. I just wanted to talk to you."
He looked at me for a second. Confusion and pain all over his face. He sighed again and opened the door wider.
"Come in."
"Thank you."
We walked into the kitchen and as I sat at the bar, he went around to the other side and stood in front of me.
"Where's Kane?" I asked, already knowing the answer.
"Drunk, passed out."
"Why are you here alone?"
"I'm a recluse now. Didn't you know?"
I grinned.
"Austin, I need you to give me advice."
"Okay?"
"I just, I can't handle this. It's too much."
"Then why are you here?"
"Because, I love the both of you-"
"I feel a 'but' coming."
I nodded. "But, I can't do the three of us. How do you think that would look? I want to get married and have kids one day. What am I supposed to do? Marry the both of you and have kids with the both of you. Think of the teasing the kids would get."
"So what are you saying?"
"I am saying that I need your advice on whether to leave you both or to choose between the two of you."
He took a deep breath and ran his hand through his hair.
"Damn Anna, how am I supposed to give you advice on that? I mean, no, I didn't think Kane and I would always do this sharing thing and no I don't want to share a wife with him. I just know that I love you. I know that I want you to do whats best for you. I would love to have you to myself but think of how crushed Kane would be. If you have to choose, I think you should choose him. I can take the pain, but I can't bear to see him in pain."
I looked down at my hands. "Maybe coming here was a bad idea."
I began getting off the stool when he came to stand in front of me. "I know we've been horrible. I know we've hurt you. But Kane is a good man."
I reached up and touched his face. His eyes bore into mine. I opened my mouth to say something but quickly shut it.
I pulled my hand away.
I opened the door and stopped in the doorway. I turned my head and looked at my hand on the doorknob.
"I love you Austin," I said.
And then I shut the door.
And walked away.
•••••••••
"What?" Morgan and Calli said simultaneously.
"Yep, he told me to pick Kane. He said that he could handle the pain but that he didn't want to see Kane in pain."
"Wow," Calli said.
"Yeah," Morgan sighed. "That sucks dude."
"Whatever," I groaned. "Let's just get ready. What should a wear?"
"Well," Morgan said. "It's that awesome DJ that we saw videos of. Remember the girl that went to Spain and took the video of that hot DJ who was really good?"
"Oh yeah!" Calli yelled. "He's so hot. I really wish I could meet him."
"Cal, we need to get you set up with a man."
"He would be great," she sighed dreamily.
I laughed. "Okay I'm going to put on my blue jean shorts and that white tank. It'll be black light like that other one right?"
"Yep," Morgan answered. "Hey can I raid your closet?"
"You know you can, come on."
She and I walked into my room. "I'm stealing your bright pink shorts and that black shirt."
"Okay." I changed into my tank top and my ripped blue jean shorts.
After makeup and hair was done, we headed to the club.
"I'm hoping for a really good night," Calli said.
"I hope," I said.
Morgan grabbed a cab and off we went.