Chapter 30

I woke to the sound of beeping. I groaned and rolled on my side.
"Turn it off," I grumbled.
I opened my eyes slightly and saw Kane sitting in a chair next to my bed.
Wait, this isn't my bed. I looked up and saw monitors all with tubes and wires hooked to me.
I jerked up.
"Shit," Kane cursed. "Don't jerk like that! You'll hurt yourself."
My lower stomach was sore. "What happened?"
Kane looked at me with sad eyes.
"Kane, is the baby okay? Please tell me the baby is okay."
He looked down, wringing his hands.
I slumped back on my pillow. Sobs took over my body. Kane got into the bed beside me and pulled me to him. I sobbed into his shirt.
He rubbed my back and didn't say a word.
When there were no more tears left, he finally spoke.
"Why didn't you tell me you were pregnant? I never would've put so much stress on you today."
"Kane, don't you dare put blame on yourself. I should've been taking care of myself. I-" Sobs took over me again. I heard the door open but didn't pay attention until Kane removed his body from under me. I looked up through blurry vision and there he stood.
His shoulders were slouched and his eyes were swollen. Tears were rolling down his face.
"I'm so sorry baby. I should've been there. I shouldn't have left you," His voice cracked.
I cried harder and pulled him down to me. He held me as we cried. I heard the door open and close but I didn't pay any attention to it.
When I finally caught my breath, I turned my head to look at him. "What happened?"
"They don't know. Just know it was a miscarriage." He sniffled.
I nodded and looked away.
We sat in silence until the door opened and Calli entered.
She rushed to my side and grabbed my hand.
She stayed until the doctor came in and put something in my IV. I felt my eyes get heavy. Before I fell asleep, I heard the door open and close but I fell asleep before I could see who it was.
•••••••••
I woke the next morning to a bright light. When my eyes finally adjusted, I saw the curtains had been drawn. Austin was sitting in the chair next to me. He looked extremely uncomfortable.
"Austin," I said, my voice raspy.
He began opening his eyes. Suddenly he jumped up and started fussing over me.
"Are you alright? Does anything hurt? Do I need to get the doctor?"
"Austin, hush. You're being loud. When can I go home?"
"In a few days," he sighed, running his hand through his hair.
"You should go home," I whispered.
"What? No. I'm not leaving your side."
"I'll be fine Austin. Seriously, you look awful. Go home and get some sleep."
"Who will stay with you?"
"Ask Calli or Morgan."
He shook his head. "No. I'm staying."
"Austin-"
"No, Anna. I'm staying here."
I shut up. No sense in arguing with the most stubborn man I know.
"What now?" I asked.
"What do you mean?" He said softly.
"Now that the babies gone, what do we do?"
"I don't know," he chokes out.
"I was really beginning to get excited," I whispered.
"Yeah, me too."
We stopped talking for a few moments.
He reached for my hand and I looked over at him. Tears were running down his face.
"Austin," I whispered.
He leaned his head on the bed and his shoulders shook.
I gripped his hand tighter.
The sight of him this way broke my heart.
"I'm sorry," I said.
"Why?" He asked.
"I didn't take care of myself. Of the baby."
"You did nothing wrong Anna."
"I'll never get to hold my baby," I sobbed. We sat and cried together for what felt like hours until sleep took over my body again.
••••••••••••
Three days later, Austin and I were in the car, driving to his house.
Kane was standing on the front steps when we got there. He helped pull me from the car and take me to Austin's room.
He sat down beside me. "Thank you by the way."
I looked at him, confused.
"For pushing Morgan on me." He grinned lightly.
I smiled for the first time in days.
"Y'all are-?"
"Yeah, we are."
"Good," I smiled.
"Thank you, Anna. I'm happy."
"I'm happy for you Kane."
His face dropped. "I'm sorry," he whispered. "Here I am talking about how happy I am and-"
"Don't," I said. "I never want you to feel like you have to suppress your happiness around me. I always want you to tell me when you're happy."
He smiled again. "Thank you."
I nodded. He stood and walked out of the bedroom. Not too long after, Austin walked in and laid beside me. I turned on my side and tangled my leg with his and placed my arm around his torso.
His breathing deepened and he began twitching, signaling his sleep.
I pulled away and walked to the bathroom. I looked at myself in the mirror. Swollen eyes, red complexion, a permanent frown. I placed my hand on my stomach and sighed.
"I miss you already baby," I whispered.
I walked out of the bedroom, deciding to let Austin get some sleep, and made my way to the living room.
I saw my phone on the coffee table, charging. I picked it up and noticed a few texts from Adrian. Instead of texting him back, I dialed his number.
"Anna?" He said when he picked up.
"Hey Adrian. I'm sorry I haven't answered."
"It's okay. That guy from the other day found me on campus. How are you?"
"I've been better."
"Yeah, I can imagine you have. I'm so sorry Anna."
"It's okay," I whisper. "I just miss him already."
"How do you know it was a boy?" He asked.
I smiled. "I just have a feeling he would've been a boy. And he would've looked just like his daddy."
I heard him chuckle. "You're awesome. You know that right?"
I laughed lightly. "Yeah, I know. Thank you for being my friend Adrian."
"No, Anna, thank you."
I smiled. "I'll talk to you soon, okay?"
"Alright, take care of yourself."
I hung up and placed my phone back on the table. I smiled again, thankful for such amazing people in my life. Even though I'm going through something tragic, I'm thankful that I still have people who love and care about me. And that night, I finally fell asleep with a smile on my face.