Chapter 7

Chapter 7

The area behind the shop was a dirt area that had a limited number of plants. There were a few tiny trees with large leaves and one large banana tree. Kiet was looking around the area with his staff on hand, inspecting the ground as if it needed maintenance.

"What are you doing?" Pranee asked hesitantly, observing Kiet as he performed his inspection.

"Just checking some things."

Pranee waited a few more minutes before Kiet nodded and stuck the staff into the ground.

"I have to ask you something, why do you want to learn magic?" Kiet's voice was louder than usual and it startled Pranee.

"Well, uh..."

The staff shook slightly, startling Pranee. She looked to Kiet, waiting for an explanation but he kept silent.

"Don't mind me. Just answer the question."

"Is this part of the training?"

"I can't say."

Pranee's mouth formed into a thin line. What exactly was she getting herself into?

"Learning magic just sounds really interesting..."

The staff shook violently but Kiet's expression didn't change. His expression was neutral and unmoving which didn't ease any of Pranee's worries.

"Should I keep talking?"

"It's up to you."

The whole scene was too unsettling to her. The usual hot humid atmosphere was now becoming drier and colder every minute that passed. It felt like there was an energy radiating from the staff and whipping through the air grabbing whatever it could get its hands on.

"Uh... um..."

She looked to Kiet again for help but he could only shrug his shoulders in response.

"I want to be like my mother."

The wind knocked Pranee down and she landed on her back. She dug her nails into the ground as the staff was shaking so violently that it cracked the ground.

"And who was your mother?" Kiet shouted.

"She was just a concubine!" Pranee shouted. The wind was so aggressive that it caused her eyes to water.

"Was she really?"

She couldn't breathe it was too hard to. She attempted to stand again but the wind only knocked her back down to her knees. Frustration rose to her chest and it spread throughout her body, causing her cheeks to go red.

"I don't know!"

The staff immediately stopped shaking and the wind dropped. Pranee sat on the ground in disbelief as she realized how loud it was earlier. The silence had come so abruptly that her ears couldn't register if it was actually silent. Kiet looked down at her with pity and picked up the lifeless staff with one hand.

"I'm sorry, but I can't teach you how to use magic."

"What? Why?"

"It seems you have lied about something."

"I... how?"

"What didn't you say?"

Pranee stared at him trying to say something but nothing came out of her gaping mouth.

"It seems I won't be getting any answers from you. You're just not ready to practice magic yet."

Pranee's mouth closed and she could only stare blankly at the man in front of her. Kiet frowned back and patted her shoulder.

"Don't feel too bad about it. That doesn't mean it's impossible for you to learn magic. It's just... you have to be in a certain mindset or state to perform magic or else many things can go wrong."

"Like what?"

Kiet's eyes became darker and Pranee watched him with anxiety. He glanced at the sky before he turned his back to her.

"I'll tell you another time. Let's go back quickly before it rains."

She hadn't realized that the clouds had darkened at the time but they definitely weren't there a few moments earlier.

⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅

Here are some more ONC entries if you're craving some more!

Weaver by Ceemtaylor