Chapter 11

Chapter 11

A Krasue.

The first one was a woman said to have been betrothed to a nobleman yet she didn't love him. She had loved another man, a commoner. When her fiancé had discovered that she was sleeping with another man, she was ordered to be executed for her promiscuity.

Before she was set to burn at the stake, she was involved with magic in one way or another and it went poorly. Some say she had asked for a magician to cast a protection spell on her and it activated too late. Another version says that she was using magic herself and as a result of her failed experimentation she died before she could get executed. Either way, she had to live her next life as a ghost hungry for meat.

Pranee stood in front of the fenced enclosure, uncertain of what will greet her. The rain had stopped earlier, leaving the grounds slippery. The only thing running through her mind was the tales of the ghastly ghost.

"Are you sure she'll come back? She already visited for the night." Pranee looked to Shashi with hope.

They stood next to her, their eyes looking into the distance with their staff in their bag. Their neutral expression quickly extinguished her hope.

"She came yesterday night. She's probably still hungry as well since the cows are still unharmed."

"It's been a long night. Can't we do this tomorrow?"

"She only comes out at night. If we leave her alone, who knows who will be her next meal. As long as you follow my instructions from earlier, we'll be alright."

Pranee could feel her body tremble as she scanned the darkness for any signs of the creature.

"I saw a glow."

"Glow? Where?" She turned her head around in confusion.

"Over there."

She strained her eyes to attempt to see what Shashi was staring at but there was no luck.

"Calm down. Your eyes are darting too fast to really catch the glow. Don't let fear consume you and allow yourself to process."

Pranee scrunched her eyebrows together and frowned before closing her eyes and taking a deep breath. She opened them again and she could faintly see a green glow in the distance. Pranee's eyes widened with glee and shock.

"That's her?"

"Seems to be."

"You must've dealt with ghosts a lot to know what to look for," Pranee commented.

"Nope," Shashi calmly said. "This is my first time."

"Wait, what?" Her face became slack. The statement shocked her to the point that she swore she was hearing things. It sounded like a low growl.

"I never met Krasue before. Honestly, a monk should be doing this."

"Then how are we going to beat her?" Pranee swore the growl was getting louder. Did cows growl? Maybe it was from them.

"With magic."

Before Pranee could get another word in, Shashi was jumping over her shoulder with one leg extended into a kick. She froze briefly before turning to see Shashi face to face with a floating head with long silky black hair. As Pranee stared at it longer, she realized that organs were hanging from the head. The most prominent organ being the beating heart.

"Pranee!"

Shashi's panic snapped Pranee out of her shock. She began to stutter the Sanskrit stanzas that she had heard over and over again during her visits to the temple. She should've known the words but she couldn't help but blank every so often as she was too focused on Krasue's appearance.