Chapter 21

Chapter 21

It was evening by the time Pranee got back to the tower but her heart was heavy with what Tanet had told her.

She also couldn't stop thinking about her half-brother banishing her to the tower. Was he really trying to rid of her? Why did he spare her life? Maybe it was because if she ever married, she wouldn't be considered royalty anymore so she didn't pose a threat. Or perhaps it was something else.

The wizard gently set her down onto the floor. She turned to give her thanks but they had disappeared without her realizing it. She sighed and look at the room in front of her while smoothing down her hair.

It was empty. The door was still broken but it wasn't the main issue. She couldn't see Shashi anywhere.

She carefully approached the door and peered down the stairwell to see if there were any signs of the wizard. Only darkness greeted her vision and she decided to head back into the room as she wasn't brave enough to go down the stairs by herself.

That was when she heard footsteps behind her. She turned around to see that Shashi had just gotten back and it looked like their face was devoid of any liveliness. Their usual golden eyes were now dull and refused to look up from the ground.

"Shashi? Are you alright?"

"Mm." Their staff dropped to the ground and they didn't bother to prop it up properly.

Pranee frowned at their weak response. She carefully approached them but they didn't seem to notice.

"Where did you go?"

"I don't know."

"What do you mean by that?"

"I just... flew. Then came back."

That was when she saw a tear rolling down their cheek. She carefully put a hand on their cheek, trying to wipe the tear away. They fell forward and Pranee quickly caught them in her arms. Their body was trembling and their chest rose sporadically.

She was confused until they started to sob quietly.

She thought she was able to hold them up fine until she felt her body start to lean backwards. The two of them fell onto the bed but it seemed Shashi didn't notice as they continued to sob. Pranee couldn't help but feel tears prickle from her eyes as well. She took a shaky breath and pulled her head back to get a better look at Shashi's face.

"Why are you crying? Did something happen?"

"There's nothing I can do," Shashi sniffled.

"What can't you do? Were you trying to do something?"

"I-I thought." More tears went down their face and they couldn't seem to get the words out.

Pranee gently rubbed their head and nodded slowly. "It's okay. Take your time."

They took a few deep breaths and had calmed down enough to speak. "I thought I bought this tower myself."

"I remember you mentioning that," she murmured.

"Wipa was right. I-it turns out I was scammed."

"Oh no, I'm so sorry." Her arms tightened her hold around their waist, hoping it would comfort them.

"I w-wanted to hone my craft and become a master in wizardry."

She pursed her lips. "Maybe you can save up to buy another tower?"

"I saved up all my money just to buy this tower. I'll never be able to get that much money again." They rested their head on her shoulder and she unconsciously let her fingers run through their hair.

"Don't say that. I know it would be hard but it's not impossible."

"It was one thousand gold."

"That's... definitely a lot of money." She didn't know much about getting paid but she did know it was a lot of money. It was more than her monthly allowance when she was still in the palace.

"It was the cheapest price too." Their tone was flat and she could hear that they had no hope left.

"Oh, dear..." Her mouth went dry.

"Even if I got the money to buy another tower... nobody wants to sell a tower to somebody like me."

Pranee could feel something drop in her stomach. "Don't say th– "

"Look at me!" Their eyes gazed into Pranee's with fury. "I have no arms and I'm a kathoey. Who in their right mind would respect someone like me? Much less sell me a damn tower."

"Me... I respect you a lot."

"You're just saying that because you're forced to stay in the tower and I just happen to stay here as well."

"I'm not. You're a really smart person and you're really good with magic. I mean I don't know magic really but I can't even do much magic. You're able to face ghosts without much fear too."

"I thought rich people were supposed to be self-absorbed and mean, not kind." They let out a sigh and she could feel their body relax in her arms.

"I'm only saying the truth. I could never imagine anyone denying you anything."

"How come?"

"Your eyes."

"My eyes?"

"They're so hypnotizing. I don't think anyone would be able to think about the other things if they looked into your eyes."

There was a moment of silence between the two of them. Pranee's heart beat wildly as she processed what she had just said. Shashi looked up at her with red eyes and her hand froze in their hair as she realized what she was doing. They seemed to have calmed down a lot but they had trouble keeping their eyes on hers as they kept glancing at her lips.

Pranee didn't know what to say at the moment but her body moved on its own as she leaned forward and brushed her lips against theirs.

Their breath hitched and they moved their head away with a flushed face. "Are you sure? I'm not rich or very–"

"Hm?" Pranee looked at them with confusion. "You don't like it?"

They shook their head. "It's not that."

That was when Pranee started to get self-conscious and held her hand against her scalp. "Sorry, I didn't think you wouldn't like it. I should've asked first. You're still upset about the tower."

"No, Pranee–"

"Then what's the problem?"

They stared at her silently and she could only look at them worriedly. She wondered if she had done anything wrong or had misunderstood anything.

"Fuck it."

That was when they kissed her back.