Chapter 87

Chapter 87

Despite the old tales of a krahang being called the male equivalent of a krasue, there was one fact that made them completely different.

A krasue had a body that can be burned which leads to an easier defeat.

A krahang did not.

Ritthirong's staff had transformed into a long wooden pestle that rested in between his legs while his arms were strapped to round rice winnowing baskets. He had no top and his pants were now dull gray shreds that barely resembled the outfit that he was wearing just moments before. His eyes were now red beads that pierced through her as he let out an inhuman screech.

Pranee looked towards Tanet and saw that he was now conscious. He was struggling to lift himself off the ground and panic overtook Pranee. She needed to stop the krahang.

"He's too attached," Ubol said and it snapped Pranee out of her panic. "Ghosts linger because they're not ready to let go into the afterlife."

"What should I do?" Pranee asked.

Ubol looked hesitant, "He needs to be cremated."

Pranee glanced to Wipa who had managed to escort everyone out except Tanet. Shashi was yelling at the top of their lungs but Bayu held them back, probably for their own safety.

"Take my brother to safety, Ubol," Pranee ordered.

"Are you sure you can handle this alone?"

Before Pranee could reply, the krahang swooped down and proceeded to lift Pranee off the ground by using the end of the pestle. She hung over the pestle sideways and immediately attempted to find a way down. Unlike Shashi's staff, the pestle wasn't imbued with magic to keep the user from falling off and she could already feel herself slipping off.

The warped Ritthirong cackled and flew them out of the building. She had no clue where the krahang was taking her but the fact that she was getting farther away from the ground unnerved her. There was a strong of words that Ritthirong was muttering under his breath and Pranee strained to hear what he was saying.

"Birthright," Ritthirong whispered.

"Get away from Pranee!"

Her head whipped around to see Shashi on a staff. Instead of them standing on it, they seemed to be clinging to it with their legs, having no real control over the magic they were wielding. Ritthirong didn't seem to have any interest in Shashi as he kept flying higher into the air. The wind made Shashi wobble for a split second but they managed to regain their balance.

"What are you doing?" Pranee yelled.

"Saving you obviously!" They yelled back. "I stole Ubol's staff so I can get you down!"

"There is no way there's any room for me on that."

"Just get back here and come back to safety! I don't care if you want to go back into hiding and live the rest of your life as a princess, I just need you to be alive by the end of this!"

Pranee's heart surged. She looked back to Ritthirong. She couldn't leave him like this. It was too dangerous.

"Shashi, do you have any tips for exorcising spirits?" Pranee asked.

"What are you talking about? This isn't the time—"

"You promised me a magic lesson, there's no better time than now."

Shashi's face was painted with a sad shock and their lips trembled. "In a situation like this you would need to surround the body with sticks into the ground but we're not anywhere near the ground. There's a whole ritual I usually do and it's all very complicated."

Pranee took a deep breath and nodded. "I can do it."

"I barely told you anything, you can't possibly—" They slipped on the staff and were now losing their grip.

"Shashi, I need you to get back to safety."

"I can't do that."

"I promise that I'll come back. You have to trust me."

The two locked eyes and Shashi gave a reluctant nod.

"If you don't come back, I'll do everything in my power to find your next life."

They began to fall towards the ground and Pranee's breath caught in her throat. She immediately looked down and was relieved to see that they were now flying towards the palace.

"Birthrightbirthrightbirthright."

The single word was repeated by the krahang over and over.

Pranee slowly attempted to stand on the pestle and it didn't seem to budge despite it looking so loosely held.

Pranee took a deep breath and focused on the feeling that guided her movements. Her hands raised and four pillars of light appeared around them. Ritthirong's smile dropped but he attempted to charge forward. An invisible wall blocked him and he tried flying upwards instead only for it to end in the same result.

"All I need now is fire," she said.

She felt heat emitted from her hands and she hesitated for a moment. There was another tug in her chest and she noticed that Ritthirong was looking at her directly in the eyes, not fighting to stop her or snarling like earlier. His face only hardened her resolve and she closed her eyes.

"This is for the best."

Heat engulfed both of them and Pranee's vision was filled with red and orange flame.