Chapter 27

Chapter 27

It had been a long time since Pranee had been in the palace. The opulence of the décor and even the clothing they had made her wear was uncomfortably familiar. The gold-threaded dress fit her snuggly which was a shocking contrast to the loose robes she had been wearing while she was at the tower. Even the golden cloth that draped over her shoulder felt heavy. She was so used to everything yet at the same time, she felt out of place.

Probably because she's supposed to be a prisoner.

The maids had even given her a new wig to wear. The hair was softer than her old wig and was styled with a makuta. It was heavy as it was decorated with gold and jewels and it even had a small flower garland hanging from the long cone centre.

The extravagance of her attire not only confused her but concerned her as well. What did her half-brother have planned for her?

One guard escorted her through the winding hallways and eventually got to the throne room. The guard opened the door for Pranee and she hesitantly stepped inside.

Ritthirong sat on the throne just like the last time she had last seen him. She froze as she saw he was wearing their fathers' old coat. The gold fabric swallowed his torso and she could see various jewellery adorning his body.

One hesitant step after the other, she approached the king. She slowly got onto her knees and bowed while pressing her hands together.

"No need for formalities, we are family after all." Ritthirong waved a hand with a strained smile.

Pranee slowly relaxed her position but her back was stiff. She couldn't look at the king directly in the eyes as cold sweat covered the back of her neck.

"Nong, how have you been? You look even more beautiful than I had last seen you. The maids seem to have done a splendid job."

The term of endearment made Pranee recoil internally. He never was affectionate with her, much less really talked to her until he became king.

"That's a difficult question to answer, your highness."

"I'll cut to the chase then. I'm considering killing you."

All warmth left her body in that second. She searched for any signs of dishonesty on his face but his expression was solemn. The fact that he has said that so casually and intended to actually do it only made Pranee fearful of what he had in mind.

"But you can survive this if you cooperate with me and tell me what you know about Tanet and his whereabouts."

"I told you before–"

"I've been told he visited your tower. You can't lie to me and say you know absolutely nothing."

Her bottom lip quivered. She felt trapped as the king just taunted her from a distance. "I do know some things but I still wouldn't tell you."

The king raised an eyebrow. "If you cooperate with me, I'll let you keep your royal title and all the luxuries that come with it. If you want, you can marry that kathoey too. Actually, you can marry whoever you want and not lose your title. You'll have my explicit blessing."

Her mouth hung open, slightly agape. "I don't understand what you're saying."

"Live in comfort or perish. I thought I made the options clear."

"At the price of P'Tanet's life?"

The king didn't respond and just tapped his fingers on his knee. His other elbow was on the armrest and its hand was partially obscuring the grin he had on his face. It was obvious by his expression that he thought he had won.

She couldn't help but be bothered by all the information she was told.

"I'd like to ask a few questions before making a decision."

"Oh? What are they?"

"How did my mother die? Our father too."

"Why would I answer that?"

"You're trying to convince me to cooperate with you, aren't you?"

"Well, I can answer other questions. Just not that one."

She gritted her teeth. As much as she wanted to shout at him, she couldn't. "How about why then?"

"Why what?"

"Why did my mother die?"

He let out a low hum. "Are you aware of when my own mother died?"

She pursed her lips, unsure of where the conversation was going. "I do, your highness."

"She was the queen of our beautiful kingdom yet on that very day prior father had plans to declare your mother as the new queen. Uplifting her from her position of concubine. I'm sure you understand my reasoning."

Pranee processed the information and she slowly understood what Ritthirong was implying.

"P'Tanet... he's the crown prince?"

"Too bad the decree was never finalized."

Pranee looked up at him in disbelief. If Tanet was meant to be the crown prince then she was supposed to be the crown princess as well.

"I'm sure this is a shock to you. Even if you told anyone this information, by the way, nobody would listen to you. How would they listen to a traitor with no evidence?"

Pranee became acutely aware of her breathing as she continued to kneel there in silence. She could feel grief come over her again as she remembered her parents, especially her father.

"Why father too?"

"And let him find another concubine to be given the title of queen?"

She shut her eyes in a grimace. She couldn't argue with his reasoning but it didn't sit right with her at all. Her half-brother had committed patricide and didn't seem to care of the consequences it would have on him.

"So, what is your decision?" He sounded impatient.

Pranee opened her eyes and tried to find the right words to say without offending him. "I would... like to have some time to consider your... generous offer, your highness."

"I'll give you three days then. I hope you won't disappoint me."

She was then escorted out of the area by the guard and her chest only felt heavier with each step. How would she get out of this situation?