19

A few weeks went by. One day Rajveer finished his work early and decided to return home early. Asha opened the door for him. Smiling, he entered and was greeted by their baby boy who had ran to the living room to greet him, meowing loudly. Rajveer picked him up and let Ollie greet him bumping it's head against his chin repeatedly.

"Good afternoon to you, Ollie. Were you a good boy?" he asked lovingly. Ollie purred against Rajveer's neck in answer.

"Rajveer beta?" Lata masi called him worriedly.

Noticing her worried tone, Rajveer asked frowning, "Kya huya masi? Aap pareshan lag rahi hai,"

"Beta, aaj Naina beta jaldi college se wapas aagayi and she seemed upset. Tab se apne kamre me hi hai. Lunch ke liye niche bhi nehi ayi," Lata masi informed.

"What? Main dekhta hu," Rajveer carried Ollie upstairs and opened the door of their bedroom. He found his wife staring blankly out the bay window as she sat on one of the wingback chairs.

Closing the door behind him, Rajveer placed Ollie on the bed and joined Naina by the bay window

Closing the door behind him, Rajveer placed Ollie on the bed and joined Naina by the bay window. "Naina? Sweet girl? Kya baat hai? Lata masi bol rahi thi ki tumne lunch nehi kiya. College se bhi jaldi wapas agayi. Sab thik hai na?" he asked.

Naina turned to him and he saw tears on her cheeks. "I thought I would be able to handle myself. But..." she shook her head.

"Kya baat hai, Naina?"

"Aaj meri maa-bab ka barsi hai. It's their death anniversary." she replied tearfully.

"Oh, sweet girl!" Rajveer got up and picked her up in his arms. Sitting down, he placed her on his lap. Naina snuggled into his chest instantly. "Tumne mujhe bataya kyu nehi. Aaj main office hi nehi jata phir,"

"You already took so much day off for our wedding and honeymoon. Main apko aur pareshan nehi karna chati thi," Naina told him, sniffing.

"Silly girl! Nothing is more important than you," he told her placing a tender kiss on her forehead. "Tell me what can I do to make you feel better," he asked after a while.

"This is what I needed. You with me," Naina told him sniffing.

They stayed like that for an hour before Rajveer placed her on the chair and when downstairs to get Naina something to eat. He bid Lata masi and Asha bye, let Ollie use the litter box before the father-son pair went upstairs. Rajver had made grilled cheese sandwich with tomato soup for them. Carrying the tray, he entered the room. Naina had climbed up on the bed and tucked herself under the blanket. He placed the tray on the foot bench at the end of their bed. He watched as Ollie jumped up to the bed and went to Naina.

"Meow? Meow?" he seemed to be calling Naina.

Smiling sadly, Naina rubbed his head with her fingers. Ollie bumped his head against Naina's chin and started purring away. Rajveer urged Naina to sit up against the pillows. Carrying the tray to the bed, Rajveer sat in front of her. He tore a piece of the sandwich and urged her to eat. Naina shook her head, sniffing. Suddenly, Rajveer started singing as he wiped away her tears.