3

Viredra was super excited to reach his home that day. He couldn't wait to tell his wife and daughter the good news. He knocked on the door repeatedly, eager to tell them the news.

"Kaun mar gaya hai jo aisa knock kar raha hai?" Kamini, Naina's chachi, shouted opening the door before realizing that it was her husband, "Aree aap! Apka din kaisa raha?" she asked taking his office bag.

"I have the BESTEST NEWS EVER!!" he shouted hugging his wife.

"Arre arre! Kya kar rahe hai. Ritu dekh legi," Kamini blushed pulling away from her husband. "Kya good news hai?" she asked.

"Mujhe promotion milne wala hai!" he told her with a huge smile.

"Sach?! That's amazing!" Kamini squealed excitedly.

"Haa. Bas hume ek chhota sa kam kar na hai," he shrugged offhandedly.

"Kaisa kam?" Kamini's smile dimmed.

"Uss nakchari ka shaadi karwana hoga. Ma'am ne apne bete ke liye uss nakchari ka haat mange hai," He told her sitting on one of the couches.

"Naina ki haat?" Kamini was confused.

"Yeah. Meri salary ab mahine ki Rs. 30,000 se Rs. 45,000 hojayenge," he told her smugly.

"And in return, we get to get rid of her? Perfect deal," Ritu stated joining her parents in the living room.

"Sahi kaha tumhe, meri princess. Isiliye maine unhe haa kar diya. Wo log kal sham ko arahe hai shagun leke. Darling, tumhe uss nakchari ko shaadi ke liye razi karna hoga," he told his wife.

"Bohot drama karne wali hai," Kamini grimaced.

"Yeah. She thinks she's going to finish her BBA and get a job," Ritu scoffed.

"Bharme jaye uske sapne! I'm getting this promotion and that means she's getting married. Do whatever you have to do," he told his wife and daughter.

"Aap chinta mat kariya. Kaal sham tak she'll be ready," Kamini gave him a vicious smile.

/

/

By the time, the next evening arrived, Naina's whole body was on fire. Last night her chachi had informed her that they had arranged marriage for her. When she protested, she was beaten within the inch of her life. After her chachi was done with her, Naina wasn't even able to get up from the floor. Her chachi was careful not to hit her anywhere near her face though. Her bruises, split lip and black eye from the last beating still hadn't healed. Her fever had returned and the pain this time was worst that any other beating she took from these people.

Around 4 pm, her chachi had came in, fed her food, gave her medicine for her fever and pain before handing her a packet. "Aaj sham larke wale shagun leke aarahe hai. Ye saree pehen ke jakdi taiyar ho ja," Kamini told her, "Ritu teri makeup kar degi. Saree pehen ne ki baad uske kamre me chali jana. Agle do ghanto me tu mujhe ready dikhni chahiye," she added sternly.

Naina nodded and waited until she left to open the packet. Inside the packet was a simple, orangish pink saree with gold border and a full sleeved blouse.

 Inside the packet was a simple, orangish pink saree with gold border and a full sleeved blouse