2. Nijimura Shuzo: The Story Begins

2.  Nijimura Shuzo: The Story Begins

You came to the public library to return your books like any other Thursday, and then check out new ones. The smell of new and old books would fill your nose, paper gliding over your fingers as you flipped the pages. Sweet silence would meet your ears and you would delve into your novel, forgetting the world you left behind. It was your escape.

Determination hummed through your veins and an excited smile grew on your face when you saw (Y/F/B) on the highest shelf in front of you. You stretched your arm out to take it, only to have your fingertips brush the bottom shelf below it. (L/C) lips were pulled into a frown as you tried to grab it again only to have your hand swat in open air. You stood on your toes and reached up with both of your hands and let out a soft whine when your hands came empty.

Are you serious? You inwardly huffed.

Silver eyes watched you carefully, the boy tilting his head as he watched you flail your arms to try to grab the book again. Amusement danced across his features as watched you struggle. He decided you had enough and strode over to where you were still trying to get the book. He easily reached up and grabbed it, the worn cover soft between his fingers.

You spun around and squealed, jumping back into the bookcase and hitting your head in surprise. He arched an eyebrow and held the book out and you slowly took it out of his grasp.

“Thank you!” You said softly, pink dusting your cheeks. “You surprised me, Nijimura-kun.”

“I’m sorry, (L/N)-chan,” he apologized, leaning on the bookshelf behind him. “So, do you always come to this library?”

You nodded, tucking back a piece of your (H/C) hair behind your ear. “I come here every Thursday. I adore quietness and the book selection.” You sheepishly explained and hugged (Y/F/B) to your chest. “Um, do you read?”

“Not really,” he admitted, inwardly wincing. “It’s not that I don’t like it, but my hands are always filled because of the Teikou basketball club.”

“Is basketball fun?” You asked, unnatural socialness and curiosity perking up. “I’ve seen the games and it looks like everyone’s having a good time. The team is really amazing.”

“It’s enjoyable as long as the lowerclassmen are following directions.” Nijimura grinned, shifting into a more comfortable stance. He was slightly hunched over you with a hand by your head on the shelf and small grins were on both of your faces. To anyone else, you two looked like a couple. “You should come to the game on Friday, (L/N)-chan. It’s the qualification round before we go to the Inter-High Tournament.”

“Ah, that sounds great.” You smiled shyly. “I’ll bring my friends so we can support all of you.”

He chuckled. “Whatever you want, (L/N)-chan.”

You let out a small giggle, surprising him. He’d never heard it before – it was beautiful. “Thanks for inviting me.” You cocked your head a little as a thought sprung to your mind. “Not to be rude, but why are you here at the library? I’ve never seen you here before.”

“I need to find a book to write a report on.” He replied. “Do you have any recommendations?”

You nodded. “Ne,” You handed him (Y/F/B) and his eyes widened and he opened his mouth to protest and you cut him off. “It’s a great book and Kiko-sensei loves it. I’ve read it a million times and I could wait another week to reread it.”

Nijimura smiled. “Thank you,”

A peaceful silence fell among the two of you, and you began to notice tiny, ridiculous details about Nijimura with the library’s dim lighting. His thin lips were curled up into a handsome smile, a hint of a dimple on his left cheek. Those silver orbs shone with peace and you followed his hand as it ran through his dark locks.

All the hairs sprung back up into their usual casual but messy state but one. That one hair stood straight up and leaned to the opposite side and stood out like a sore thumb. Unable to help yourself, you stepped forwards and reached out to pat it down. You smoothed it down until it was back in its original position and horror flooded through you when you realized what you were doing. Nijimura was still, his gaze slightly surprised yet interested.

“Sorry!” You gasped, stumbling back with a tomato red face. “I-I just couldn’t help it because it stood up the opposite way and it was bugging me and yeah~” You let out an awkward laugh and walked backwards out of the aisle and rapidly waved your free hand as if giving a frantic signal. “I’m so sorry, Nijimura-kun! I-I’ll see you at, um, school, right? I mean, we’re still at school, but you know what I mean. Ahaha, well, bye- AHH!”

You squeaked as your foot caught on the edge of a stepping stool and began to fall backwards. Nijimura jumped forwards and went to wrap his arm around your waist to keep you from falling, but got there too late.

Instead, he fell down with you with a grunt. His arms were on either side of your head and his knees between your legs were holding him up. A centimeter seemed to separate the two of you from pressing face-to-face, your lips hairs away. Electricity began to buzz through your veins and butterflies began to flock through your stomach.

The urge to entangle your fingers in his glossy locks and press his lips against yours was almost too much to bear. That really surprised you. Since when did you think of him that way?

Your wide eyes met his, and you were slightly mortified at the thoughts running through your head and the provocative position you two were in. Heat crawled up your neck as your face became scarlet, and his became redder than Akashi’s hair. Scrambling up, he jumped to his feet and held out his hand to you. Taking it, he helped you up and rubbed the back of his neck.

“I’m sorry!” You both apologized in perfect unison.

“What are you talking about?” You queried with an incredulous tone. “I was the one who fell over in the first place! I pulled you down with me!”

“No, I tried to save you but I fell on top of you!” Nijimura argued, furrowing his eyebrows.

“But if I didn’t touch your hair, I wouldn’t have begun to fall in the first place!” You retorted, crossing your arms. “It’s my fault.”

Nijimura sighed before he smirked. “Now that you put it like that, I guess it is your fault.”

“E-eh?” You were taken aback by his sudden change in mood.

“To make it up to me, you should come with me to the bubble tea shop that opened up recently. It’s only fair, after all.” He paused and raised his eyebrows. “That is if you don’t have any other plans for Valentine’s Day.”

“No, I’m free,” you admitted, embarrassed by his straightforwardness.

Nijimura boldly looped his arm through yours and began to lead the way. “It’s a good thing you are, (L/N)-chan. I wasn’t going to take no for an answer.”

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Happy Valentine's Day!

This is actually one of my older works, but I revised it to fit Nijimura more (this was originally for my old oneshots book and the main character was OHSHC's Karou).

I'm sorry if Nijimura seems OOC to you. My headcanon is that he becomes very suave around those he likes and tries to sweep the girl off of her feet. He is the cool captain, isn't he?

Lots of love, Cora-chan <3