5. Takao Kazunari: Savvy

{Pirate AU}

The smell of the sea was a familiar one. It was salty and bitter, practically opposite of its gorgeous cobalt-colored appearance. A sweeter more succulent smell would suit the waves better. Perhaps something along the lines of flowers.

You pursed your lips as you watched the waves lap against the wooden sides of the ship. The white foam splashed up, continuously sending you the fumes of the ocean. You wondered what falling off of the ship into the water's wide embrace would feel like.

It'd probably hurt. A lot. You snorted.

"(Y/N), I've been looking for you." A masculine voice void of cheer called you out of your thoughts.

You straightened up and turned around to lean your back against the ledge. "What'd I do, Captain?"

The green-haired man dressed in blue adjusted his matching hat as he shook his head. "You didn't do anything. At least, not yet." He raised his chin and used his towering height to look down at you as to invoke intimidation. "I have a task for you once we get to the port."

"What sort of task?" You asked, crossing your arms across your chest.

It wasn't very often Captain Midorima gave you special orders. It wasn't because he didn't like you, no, it was because he had a raven-haired idiot of a first mate who did stuff for him. The only time Midorima ever talked to you was to acknowledge how well you did in a sword fight or tell you to stop mouthing off to other shipmates.

"There's a rumor going around that a treasure like no other can be found on this island. I want you to gather information on its whereabouts so we can take it before somebody else can." Midorima narrowed his emerald gaze. "I will not lose another treasure to Captain Akashi."

"Aye, aye, Captain. I'll have the information before you know it." You smirked. Just to egg him on a little you gave him a salute.

Midorima wasn't amused as he kept his resting bitch face on. "You won't be alone; Takao is your partner."

Your jaw nearly hit the deck. "WHAT?!"

An arm wrapped around your shoulders and a body leaned against yours. "Aww, you told her already? I wanted to see her reaction!" Takao paused to look at you. "Oh wait, never mind! You're so slow that your face is still in the same dumb position!"

"You have to be kidding me!" You snapped. You pulled away from Takao to stand a safe five feet away from him. "Please tell me this is a joke."

"I don't kid around." Midorima said. "Takao's tomfoolery more than makes up for everyone on board. Now excuse me, I'll be in my cabin working on the maps."

You glared at the captain's back as he retreated into his safety room. Everyone knew he went in there just to hide away from the crew. The only person allowed in there was—

"Don't make that face, you look even uglier than normal." Takao teased.

"Shut up, Pervert." You hissed.

"I wouldn't peek even if you paid me."

"Oh really? Then explain why you were in my room last week."

"I was drunk. I'd have to be if I went anywhere near your dragon den."

"Are you an alcoholic? You've stumbled in three times in the past two months."

"I like to party. You should try it sometimes. Maybe you'll be a fun person to be around when you're full of rum."

Before you could fire another comeback, Midorima called for the instigator. "Takao!"