A Royal Pain In The Ass

The boy's blue eyes found the unexpected intrusion, walking until she stood just a couple feet away from them. That was close. What was the Olkarion's princess doing there? Was she hungry?

"You," the hazel haired spoke coldly towards Lance, almost scowling. W... What...?

"M-Me?" the hunter replied, blinking with confusion. But suddenly the princess' expression turned shocked and offended, and Lance never felt more fear before.

"Is that the way to talk to me, peasant?" she spat, making Lance's heart sink.

"N-No!" He nearly jumped from his seat and quickly kneeled before the short princess, staring at the floor with wide eyes. "Of course not! I'm sorry, your highness, please forgive me..." He swallowed. God how was he this unlucky? How many people could say they'd been threatened by not one but three royals? What had he done wrong this time?? But Keith had said she was friendly? Hell, he'd even called her a rebellion supporter. Was that a mistake?

A hand on his shoulder caused him to quiver, closing his eyes for any possible punishment.

"Oh god Lance I'm so sorry! I didn't think you'd fall for it... I thought you'd figured it out by now?" the princess apologized, kneeling in front of him.
...What?

"I told you Pidge, Lance is too dense for your sense of humor," Hunk sighed at how wrong that prank had gone.
Lance stared at her, eyes wide as plates. Even then it took him a moment to process he wasn't being truly reprimanded, that he wasn't gonna get hit by yet another royal, and that Hunk had called her Pidge. Wait a second...

"...Pidge?" he murmured, eyes fixed on the girl. The girl... The girl was Pidge for real? Even if he'd accepted some of Hunk's theory made sense, he would've never believed it could be true.

However, up close... The person in front of him didn't look like Olkarion's princess anymore. Not that anything had physically changed in her features, no. It was that expression, kind and slightly nervous, that reminded him of a certain someone he and Hunk had met years ago.

"..." Lance took a bold step and hesitantly raised his hand to that rather messy short hair, ginger in the sunlight, until he combed through the familiar feeling. "Ohmygod Pidge you're a girl?!"

Pidge laughed and instantly jumped to hug him, which Lance welcomed regardless of the confusion.

"Yes it's me, silly. And yeah, I'm a girl. It's great to see you again," she beamed with laughter, Hunk smiling at the scene as well. It was something Lance didn't miss. He knew? She knew he knew? She-

"Pidge you're royalty?? I'm so confused right now... How- When??" Lance pulled back from the hug to see him- her,, up and down. A long, refined fancy dress, jewelery pending from her neck and ears and a small tiara set on her hair. It all screamed anti-Pidge.
All of it except those hazel eyes, intelligent and blazing with a fierce desire to fight.

The younger princess pursed her lips for a moment, unsure of what Lance would think of her once she told everything. Hunk was a more adaptable sunshine, but Lance... Had a lot of history against royalty. Despite Hunk's words of encouragement, she still feared she would lose him as a friend.

"Let's go to the gardens. I'll explain everything there."

It'd been a very cold Daibazaal winter day that morning. Katie still remembered it like yesterday, how she shook helplessly in her thin, jagged and patched clothing against the merciless freezing air. She couldn't bring more clothing than that, though. If she wanted to blend in with the commoners of that kingdom she couldn't afford luxuries such as appropriate winter clothing. She wouldn't go back home either. Some older kids had stolen something that belonged to her. If she wanted to prove her parents she was capable of such undercover missions like her brother, she'd have to endure this, no matter how hard it was, and recover what it was hers. She might be eight, but that wouldn't stop her from contributing to the rebellion. As princess of her people, she wouldn't let King Zarkon, nor anyone else, steal from them and get away with it.