War Of Hearts

That. That cold, firm, emotionless voice hit Lance like a brick. Keith was back being an empty prince shell again because of him, yet he didn't have anything to be sorry about?

"...I think I do," he said after a pause to steady his shaky hurt tone, now firm as a rock. "I think I have to be sorry... for thinking even for a single second, that someone cared about me enough to fight. To take risks like I did just to bring you a basket of food, to apologize. Because I do believe you're worth fighting for."

Another crack ran through his heart, and his frown was not that of anger but sadness, the pain reflecting on his already crystallized eyes. So Keith would rather treat him like a stranger since now. Why did it come so easy for everyone to forget about him? Was he that dispensable?

"How can you... You can't just shove me aside after all we've been through, everything we've felt? ...Or... perhaps it was just me," he murmured, taking a step back from him and embracing himself for some kind of comfort.

He was done, so done people played him to later forget about him completely like nothing ever happened. He couldn't do that. Unlike the prince, he couldn't pretend he didn't have a heart. One that overflowed with affection and desire to share it, longing to recieve.

"I have feelings for you, Keith. I can't pretend I don't." He bit his lip. He understood, yet why was he being so selfish? He was practically accusing him of something. Perhaps the hunter thought he'd found the one, for real this time, and he was begging him to stay. He didn't want to let go.

But Keith was right, and he had all the right to stop whatever there was between them, so he looked at the prince again, held his tears back and forced a small smile on his lips.

"Sorry, I... I understand... I don't want to put you in a difficult position." Keith's life would be better without him anyway. "If that's what you truly desire, I won't bother you again."

With that said, he walked past him and took the rabbit he'd accidentally dropped before, to head deeper in the forest where he'd seen an orange tree.

Keith felt like breaking down. Like crying. Like dying. Lance said everything he had longed for for days now. His feelings were real, like Keith's own. But Lance had said too much. And he was right, from his perspective.

There was no way Lance could understand how he felt, how he truly felt. Keith's heart overflowed with love, too much to keep in. But he had to. If he gave a part of his heart to Lance now, he would have to cut it off later. Keith couldn't bear to lose another part of his shrinking self.

But watching Lance leave like this made him realise he'd already given this boy his entire heart. Lance carried it with him without noticing, it being too light and broken to feel.

Every fiber of his body told Keith to sprint after this boy, to hold him in his trembling arms. But could he? Could he deal with the destruction that would follow? Would Lance be satisfied with just two days of open love?

Keith wouldn't be able to just let Lance get killed for being with him, but what if Keith couldn't stop once they got back? Lance was addictive, like nothing else Keith had ever felt, but also dangerous.

His feet started walking without really making a decision. All he knew was that he hated seeing Lance like this. He should at least explain it, explain why they couldn't be together in any way. Maybe it was too late.

And there was was, reaching up to pick bright, ripe oranges from a high tree. He looked beautiful, as always, the late afternoon sun lighting up his face like he was god himself. Keith didn't know what to do, what to say, so he just stood there completely quietly. Maybe Lance would notice him, maybe he wouldn't. It didn't matter. He couldn't speak anyway.