Burning Pain

The moment Lance could no longer feel Keith's hand was the breaking point between their little adventure and the real word. However, he caught his breath and kept his head high. He would never quiver. Never. Everything would be alright. They could do this. 

He glanced at Keith, and nodded in return with a brave expression. 

The front gates opened up at the near sight of the prince, and Lance knew everyone in the castle was recieving the news of His Majesty's arrival. Another breaking point, where Lance glanced at him one more time before being separated from his prince to leave Kaltenecker in the servant stables. 

He was greeted by a few other workers, who offered to help him unsaddle and unpack his bags. Fortunate enough, because he was so innerly anxious he doubted he could've done any of that on this shaky state. 

He'd been thinking about what to tell Shiro over and over, but he was informed he'd had to take care of some trouble in the west part of the kingdom and it was unknown when he would return. 

What should he do now? He couldn't eavesdrop on the prince and the king, no matter how close he wanted to be. He guessed the best thing he could do for now was shower, change, catch Hunk up and wait until dinner. Yeah, he would do that, while hoping and wishing for Keith to be as safe and sound as possible.

Keith pulled Kosmo to a stop in front of the large castle door, and slid off immediately. His father would want him to deliver a full report of his mission, no matter how tired he was, how defeated he looked. 

He didn't even have to order the servants to take care of his horse and bring his belongings up to his room, but made his way straight to the Kings office where his father would most likely be. 

What was waiting for him there? Punishment, definitely. He had failed in apprehending and killing the rebels, and he'd gotten himself captured. The actions of a fool. 

He looked like one as well. His clothes were dirty and his hair ruffled. At least he was acceptably clean from his bath this morning, though he doubted the king would be much impressed. Nothing to do about it now. 

He knocked on the door, and after a short, hope inducing silence, his father's voice sounded clearly through. 

"Enter." 

Keith closed his eyes for a moment to gather his thoughts, took a deep breath, and opened the door. 

"Father," he began. "I have returned." Yes, that much was obvious. But what more to say? Should he start at the beginning or deliver the news of his failure immediately? 

And so he just stood there, in the middle of the room, his eyes fixed on the King's, and paralysed with fear. This would be bad, but how much so? He'd rarely fucked up this badly before. 

"My mission was.." His voice stuck in his throat, as if his body was prohibiting him from speaking those words, from making the king angry. "I did not manage to kill them. The rebel group was larger than expected, they.. They got away." He held his breath and quickly diverted his gaze to the floor, waiting for the first blow.

The moment the prince entered his throne room with a disgusting look of defeat, the king knew the journey hadn't gone well. 

The days without him had been rather peaceful, and he should admit not listening to his pathetic excuse for a son's constant whining and pity had been relaxing. But for the most part he'd started to get tired of waiting, and now he knew the reason. 

He clenched his fists on his chair's arms, breathing deeply while trying to process what he was just witnessing. 

"Why am I not surprised," he breathed with apparent disappointment and disapproval, his deep, echoing voice prominent in every corner of the room.