The Crushing Weight Of Abandonment Issues

Keith woke up a few hours later, the fire long extinguished but the worst cold having past as well. He was still shivering, his lips blue and every inch of his skin covered in goosebumps.

He was laying on something incredibly warm. It was a body. Oh god, he was touching someone. Oh fuck, it was Lance.

He waited for the pain to hit him, waited for his body to wake up and go back to torturing him. But it didn't. He held his breath for nothing, and it slowly escaped him.

His muscles ached and felt weak, but still worked. And yet, he didn't move away. He didn't want to.

A hesitant smile broke over his lips at that thought. He was laying half over Lance, touching him, and he didn't mind. It didn't hurt. He carefully lifted his hand and gently touched Lance's skin, just above his collar.

And even though he was ready to pull back as soon as it hurt, the violent burning was completely absent. It was just.. soft. Lance's skin was soft, and cold yet warm, and sweet, and God.

Keith's smile curved even wider. This was the first time he'd voluntarily touched someone's skin in a long time. He bit on his bottom lip, keeping himself still. He didn't want to wake Lance yet. He didn't want this moment to fade away. He could touch, at last.

He lay down his head again, silent tears of happiness trailing coldly over his cheeks, and still not taking his frozen fingers off Lance's skin.

The second one to wake up was Blue, who quietly watched the scene play out in silent approval. She felt Keith was appropriate and worthy of his partner, since he dragged him out of the fire and all the way through the storm. He seemed to watch over him, just as Lance did with him. Good.

Speaking of the brunette, he was slowly waking up from probably the best dream of his life time after the light made it's way through the den's opening. He grumbled as he blinked his heavy eyes open, trying to focus the vision in front of him while still being half asleep.

It was cold, very, but thankfully not as unbearibly cold as last night. Then his eyes found someone elses, an ocean of galaxies.

"Keith... Hey," he murmured raspily with a small smile, being extremely confused. Until it hit him. He glanced at the fire, it wasn't there, then back at the prince with raising worry.

"You're so cold... I fell asleep, and the fire almost extinguished in the middle of the night, I'm so sorry...!" he blabbered, raising a hand instinctively to wipe the tears falling from the boy's eyes. My god, he was crying. Was it his fault? It probably was. It always was. He'd lost track of how many times he'd made him cry at this point.

"Please don't cry..." He noticed the prince's fingers against his skin, and then it hit him again. He couldn't touch him like this.

He instantly pulled his hand away, his heartbeat rising from all the mistakes he was making. He'd also called him by his name, hadn't he? Why was he so stupid? Keith had probably tried to push him away. Should he back off? "I'm sorry.."

Keith chuckled softly, and pushed himself up and away from Lance. This was getting uncomfortable.

"Don't be," he spoke. "You probably saved my life. Thank you." Maybe he was going too fast. His thick, strong walls were crumbling, yeah. But they were still there. They were still protection.

He lost the foolish smile and stood up completely, gazing down at the gorgeous boy beneath him. The dark cloak was still trapped beneath the hunter, but Keith didn't care much. His pale, exposed, and bruised chest seemed less cold now the soft rays of sunlight hit it.

He yawned, hiding his mouth behind a hand and subtly rubbed his eyes. At least try to act like a Prince, Keith. He straightened his back and looked at his torn shirt. It was beyond repair, way beyond. So he pulled it off and threw it aside.