Chapter Eight

Looking through my vast wardrobe, I pondered on what I could wear

Looking through my vast wardrobe, I pondered on what I could wear. After going back and forth, flicking through the huddle of clothes, I opted for a long black smart dress, that wasn't too revealing, ideal for office wear. I decided to wrap my hair in a bun adding to the professional look.

I had a nervous feeling at the pit of my stomach. I didn't know what to expect. In the back of my mind I had a worried thought of not liking the job.

I made my way to the kitchen, Calum was slumped on the couch watching the television. He didn't bother to say anything, part of me wondered if he realised I was starting my new job.

The nerves swirled around in my stomach, I couldn't bring myself to eat breakfast. I popped an apple in my bag, in case I needed a pick me up. Grabbing my keys, I made my way to the door, just before leaving I turned to Calum.

"I don't know what time I'll be finishing today, so I'll see you later." I said to Calum, who seemed so disassociated from the world.

Waiting for a response and I got nothing. Just as I was about to leave, I heard Calum say in a low voice, "Good luck babe, hope you have a good first day."

I turned to look at Calum giving him a heart-warming smile.

"Thank you." I said, shutting the door behind me.

It was the  little things that Calum did, it enabled me to forget the silly arguments we had. This is one of many reasons why taking a break wasn't an option for me. We still had our small moments of affection, and that's what I held onto; making this relationship work.

I was a nervous wreck on my way to work. I started to feel sick. The irregular heartbeat in my chest made me jerk. My palms started to feel sweaty from gripping the steering wheel tight.

I parked the car up, staying in the car for a few extra minutes. I closed my eyes and focused on my breathing. You can do this, this will be fine, don't worry, I kept repeating in my head.

I finally gathered the courage to leave the car. Just before going where I needed to be, I decided to see Sarah, but when I got to our desk she wasn't there. I checked the time, and it was unusual for Sarah not to be here.

I returned to the lobby of the building and sat on the sofa, situated near the entrance. Picking up my phone, I made a call to Sarah. After the fifth ring she finally picked up.

"Hi Louisa." she said in a very low tone.

"Sarah, where are you? How come you're not in work yet?" I asked with a concerned tone to my voice.

"Shit I forgot to tell you." She sighed.

"Tell me what?"

"When I got home last night from yours. I got a call from my sister. She told me mum fell over, she's in hospital right now. She broke her leg."