Chapter Fifty-Three

The feeling of being scared is strange

The feeling of being scared is strange. Fears run through my mind like a race car. Rushing through at the speed of light. When the feeling is present, my mind created taunts.

"Nobody will believe you."

"You're wasting your time."

"They're going to laugh at you."

The words dripped with venom felt like it was poisoning my mind. The senseless words that taunted me, lead me to believe that I couldn't do it, that I wasn't able to give evidence.

Many weeks of preparation, helped me for the very day. The day when I could let out all the nastiness of Charles Moore.

The last day of the trial had arrived, it was three days of tough questions thrown at the witnesses, including Alexander. Deep down I knew this didn't affect him, he had this calming aura around him. He was able to tell the jury straight, what kind of man Charles was. There was no room for error from Alexander.

With me, I was a bundle of nerves, but these feeling were tamed with the support of everyone around me.

I sat on the cold, sturdy chairs of the court. Waiting to be called in. My leg continuously bounced, jittering like it was buzzing for attention. I wasn't able to set my eyes on one place, it filtered around the waiting area of the court, not being able to settle on one place.

The dreaded words were called out. The court usher had called the case of Charles Moore. People who had arrived to watch the trial made their way to the court room. My leg suddenly struck still like a statue. Worry has started to paralyse me.

Alexander stood up and held his hand to me. I looked up towards him, straining a fake smile on my lips. Taking hold of Alexander's hand and I got myself up.

We made our way to the court room. A feel of uneasiness mounted my steps as I got closer and closer to the room.

As soon as we entered there was a change in the air surrounding me. It suddenly became cold. Cold air attacked the back of my neck, the breeze of this soulless room enabled me to shudder with fear.

We took our place and the jury filtered in. The eyes of each person were clouded with judgement. They had a stern exterior that meant they were not to be messed with.

The rumble of the door ruptured the room, my head locked towards the direction of the opened door. My heart leaped into my throat at the sight of Charles entering the room, occupied with a police officer.

The time in prison took a toll on him. His scruffy hair spiralled around his head, the colour had faded and the greyness was coming through. It looked like it had been a while since he last shaved, rough stubble ran all over the bottom half of his face.

As he was placed at the dock, his piercing eyes latched on to me. My heart suddenly pounded with fear, with the memories of him terrorising me. No facial expressions were evident on his face, he continued to stare at me like he was going to burn a hole with his eyes.