Chapter Fifteen

When I approached the entrance to the top floor, I came to a sudden realisation that I didn't have my card with me

When I approached the entrance to the top floor, I came to a sudden realisation that I didn't have my card with me. For a brief moment, I panicked, thinking I had lost it. I then recalled leaving it on my desk. The plan was to stay sober and retrieve my belongings from the office. Looks like the plan went out the window.

Using the telecom, I buzzes in, hoping I wouldn't get asked too many questions.

"Hello?" Said an unfamiliar voice.

"Hi, it's Louisa, I left my pass in my office." I said squinting with embarrassment.

The unfamiliar voice was silent for a while. As I was about to buzz again, the door opened up. Walking towards my office, I got a few smiles from unfamiliar faces, I smiled back while taking a sip of my coffee. I wince in disgust, so much for a thermal travel mug, it was stone cold.

I lifted my hand into a fist, to knock on Alexander's door, suddenly remembering not needing to knock. Slowly opening the door, I peered inside the office. Alexander was typing away frantically on his laptop. He noticed me peering in, stopped typing and shot me a welcoming smile.

"Louisa, come in." He said shutting his laptop.

I closed the door, standing awkwardly, I didn't know what to say.

"How are you?"

"I'm sorry!" I blurted out. "I am so sorry, my behaviour last night was unacceptable. I should have been professional. I'm supposed to be a bloody personal assistant. I haven't done anything remotely useful. I understand if you want to fire me. I just... I... I'm sorry."

All the words fumbled out of my mouth like I had verbal diarrhoea. I bowed my hand down, I was surrounded with embarrassment. There was silence for a few seconds, then Alexander let out a chuckle. I lifted my head, frowning in confusion.

"I'm not going to fire you." Alexander finally said amongst his laughter. "You didn't do anything to embarrass me. Last night when I noticed I hadn't seen you for a while, I started to look for you. I saw you, with your head down at the bar. From far it looked like you were just simply leaning your head down. When I got closer I realised you were drunk. People were concerned, but I just told them you weren't feeling to good."

I let out a long sigh, feeling relieved that I didn't make a fool out of myself.

"Oh? So I didn't embarrass you?" I asked for clarification.

"No you didn't. I mean if you were drunk like that night in the club, then you would have embarrassed me." Alexander said with a sly smile whilst gazing into my eyes.

I shyly let out a smile, remembering that night.

"Now, do you want to tell me why you were drunk?" Alexander asked, motioning for me to sit down.

I sat down, opposite Alexander, awkwardly placing my hands on the desk.

"It's nothing really." I bleakly replied.