Chapter Fifty-Two

The day of the engagement party finally arrived

The day of the engagement party finally arrived. It was clear that eighty percent of the people invited already knew Alexander and I were engaged. We had planned on revealing it at the party, but keeping a secret deemed impossible.

In the weeks leading up to the party, we secured our project with Jason. We finalised our contract, all four of us signed it, creating the start of something new between us.

Amongst the new project, I was starting to feel confident in giving evidence at the trial. Each day going to Rebecca made me feel more at ease. There was a part of me, still slightly worried, but that was overtaken by the pure determination to send Charles to prison.

I barely spoke to Sarah. Ever since finding about her and Calum, we kept our distance. We both needed the space and time to gather our thoughts. Even though it didn't affect me as much, I still needed the distance from the situation.

I had to make sure Lily sent her an invitation to the engagement party, no matter what, I still needed my best friend with me. I missed having Sarah by my side.

As I was walking through the main room of the house, I was welcomed to the sheer buzz of people walking in and out. The party was well on its way. Decorators were shouting at each other, propping up the decorations, perfecting the tiny details.

People who held stainless steel pots, barged through to the kitchen, setting up the food for tonight. I wasn't sure what was on the menu, but the smell of different spices waved its way to my nose.

At the far corner of the room, the drinks bar was getting set. A whole range of drinks were getting prepared. My mind was set on staying sober the whole night, I wanted to remember everything.

Lily entered the room, she chatted away as she clutched a clipboard in her hands tightly, pointing at different directions. Her attention was brought to me, and she excitedly waved. As she finished directing the person, she made her way to me.

"So, what do you think?" Lily asked in anticipation, eyeing me up waiting for my approval.

"Lily, everything is amazing. You've done so good. I actually have no words," I stuttered, as I was taken back by the perfection implemented by Lily.

Lily let out a calming sigh, just as she was about to respond, she was beckoned by another worker who needed her assistance. Just like that, she hurriedly moved her feet.

I continued to admire my surroundings, a ball of excitement swirled around my stomach. My mind excitedly pondered the thought about officially announcing myself as, the fiancée of Alexander Pierce.

***

Walking up to the mirror, I finally get a glance after patiently getting ready with the help of Janice. As usual, I was held back at how Janice had made me look so elegant for tonight.

I opted to wear an off the shoulder tulle dress. It was dusty pink, with a slight shimmer on the bodice. Underneath was silk and on top was a delicate netting, that flowed effortlessly like a waterfall.