Chapter Twenty-Nine

The first sense that welcomed me, was smell

The first sense that welcomed me, was smell. The strong disinfectant was wavering around my nose. As my eyes were still closed, I could feel the brightness seep through my eyelids. The room was silent, except for the continuous beep. I'm alive, I thought to myself. The last thing I remembered was being consumed by darkness, I thought I was dying.

All the power I had in me was gone. My body felt heavy like a tonne of bricks. My hand, my head and my body felt like it was stuck, unable to move. Squinting my eyes, I slowly opened them. Only for my vision to be blurred.

I closed my eyes, blinking a few times, attempting to restore my vision. I opened up my eyes again, slowly it was getting less blurry. Few seconds later my vision was restored and I was able to get a better look at my surroundings.

The colour white was evident in this room. A light green blanket was draped over me. A monitor with an IV rack was standing to my left, a wire travelled under the blanket.

Moving my hand, a sharp pain stabbed me. It dawned on me that the wire was connected to a needle, which was infused in my skin.

It clicked in my mind that I was in a hospital. How did I get here? What happened after my world turned black? So many questions were popping into my mind.

I turned my head to the right and I suddenly felt like all my pain had gone. Sound asleep in a grey armchair, was Alexander. Leaning back on the chair, with his arms crossed over his chest. His head falling to the side, with his soft, wavy brown hair effortlessly covering his face.

Even fast asleep in an uncomfortable position, he looked striking. I had the urge to go and run my hands through his hair, getting rid of the scruffiness. Just Alexander's presence, without him looking at me, enabled a warm glow inside of me growing by the second. Floating around my stomach were the butterflies.

With his eyes closed, Alexander moved his head, his eyes then slowly opened. Our eyes reunited, it took a while for Alexander to comprehend I was awake. He then shot up from the arm chair, standing beside my bed, he draped one arm around me and holding my other hand.

"You're awake." Alexander consoled with his forehead leaning against my head. His soothing voice danced into my ears, making me feel relaxed. Closing my eyes, I take in all the warmth feeling I received by his comfort.

I opened my mouth to speak, but all that escaped was a croak. The dryness in my throat had overpowered my sense to talk. When Alexander noticed he hurriedly turned to the cabinet on the right side of my bed.

With his hand shaking, he poured water into a plastic cup. Propping me up, he held the cup close to my mouth. The straw found its way into my mouth. When I took my first sip of water, it glided down. I never felt so satisfied with water in my life. It felt like the Sahara Desert finally had a rainfall. Taking a few more sips, I leaned back, backing away from the cup. Alexander put the cup back, and continued to comfort me.