Epilogue

The intense, heavy feeling weighed down on me, pushing me like a tonne of rocks

The intense, heavy feeling weighed down on me, pushing me like a tonne of rocks. Pain shot through me like bullet. I couldn't pin-point it, it was erratic, it cascaded throughout the whole of my body.

I squeezed my eyes shut, to push the pain away. But the more I did that, the more the pain came to slap me and attack me.

I felt hot bubbles of sweat, glide from my head, down to my cheeks. I had no energy to wipe it away, my only focus was to get through the discomfort.

My breathing intensified, my chest bobbed up and down like a boat floating in the water. If I was going to get rid of this suffering, I knew I had to focus, keep calm and get through this.

"I can't." I let out in a shaky breath.

I nod my head profusely, I was nothing but a bundle of nerves, with pants and whimpers leaving my mouth.

"I can't do this." I repeat, hoping it would put an end to it all.

"Louisa, you're nearly there. Just one more push." The unfamiliar voice called from between my legs. I didn't care who's voice it was, I just wanted rid of this ache swallowing me up.

"Baby, you're almost done. You can do this. I got you." My senses are brought back, to the voice I've known to love.

I turn my head to the left, where Alexander is by my side, arms around my shoulder, and his hands tightly squeezed into mine. He was like my anchor, I held onto his words, hoping it will pull me out of this agony.

With one deep breath in, I heave forward with all my might and strength. Pushing like my life depends on it. In the process a scream ruptures from my mouth, like I was a banshee.

Suddenly, it felt like a chunk of me escaped, for a moment it was like I was floating. I'm slammed back down to reality, when I hear the beautiful cry of a baby.

"Congratulations. It's a baby girl." The midwife coos.

Working like clockwork and at the speed of light. My baby girl is brought to me, and placed on my bare chest. I was lost for words. I've never known love like this, to come at me so fast.

"You did it! I'm so proud of you." Alexander gushed.
Placing a soft peck on my forehead, he bows closer to get a look at our daughter.

Joy and happiness unfolded in me like a flower. My heart was singing at the sight of my daughter sleeping peacefully on my chest and my husband by my side admiring her.

***

Moments after, when we both came to terms that our perfect daughter was finally here. I was able to sit comfortably on the bed.

My eyes follow Alexander, as he slowly bobbed with his daughter in his arms. I couldn't help but etch a wide smile on my face, there was something different to seeing my husband, now a father, taken in awe of our daughter.