Chapter Forty-Six

The day went by pretty fast, Alexander and I had back-to-back meetings and tonnes of paperwork to complete

The day went by pretty fast, Alexander and I had back-to-back meetings and tonnes of paperwork to complete. I had made the plan to go see Sarah when she was on her break, but I never managed to.

With most of the day gone, it was time to go home. In the back of my mind, I had the thought of Maggie's Lasagne, this was the one thing that kept me going. As it was a meal to celebrate, I invited Lily to come as well. The only other person I wanted was Sarah.

On the car journey home, I twiddled my thumb around my phone, hesitant to call Sarah. I wasn't sure why there was hesitation in calling her, but I felt like there was a string tugged at my fingers, where the times I would try and dial her number, I just simply couldn't.

"What's on your mind?" Alexander asked as he softly held my hand, planting a subtle kiss on my knuckles.

Although my eyes were not directed towards Alexander, I could feel his brown orbs gaze towards me, making me feel like there some sense of peace surrounding me.

"I need to call Sarah, invite her over for dinner." I bleakly replied with my thumb hovering over her number, ready to dial away.

"What's wrong, can you not ring her?" Alexander innocently replied. The soft mellows in the tone of his voice, enabled me to soften inside, allowing me to curl a smile, feeling warm and fuzzy.

I teared my eyes away from my phone, and on to Alexander, who elegantly peered towards me, patiently waiting for me to respond.

"I don't know why I'm being like this. I can't get myself to ring her. I think deep down, I just don't want her to turn my offer down. These past few days we've been distant, I don't know what's happened." The words tumbled out of my mouth, and then in dawned on me; hesitation around my best friend.

Alexander let out a slow sigh, and adjusted his body so he was facing fully towards me. He took the phone away from me and held my hands, steadily soothing my skin with his thumb.

"She's your best friend. Now I don't know what's going on with her, but if you ring her, I'm sure she won't decline you. If she does, don't get caught up about it." Alexander words felt like a breeze of encouragement.

Plucking up the courage, I picked up my phone and bravely dialled her number. After five rings, she picked up.

"Louisa, I'm so glad you called." She exclaimed from the other side of the phone.

"I was just going to call you. It's like you read my mind." She chimed as she let out a chuckle.

Hearing her say those words, it felt like I had got my best friend back. I shook the unwanted thoughts away from me. Why on earth was I feeling like this about my best friend.

"You have no idea how great it is to hear your bubbly voice again." I finally let out.

"There's something I need to tell you-"