Chapter Forty-Nine

Twelve hours

Twelve hours. It had been twelve hours of non-stop thinking about what I saw at the ice cream parlour. My mind couldn't gather the idea of Sarah and Calum going out in the evening, to an ice cream shop.

My mind had been going around like a Ferris wheel. Around and around, to the point where I felt dizzy from all the thinking.

In the back of my mind, a tiny voice made me think that there was nothing wrong with them two hanging out. It could have been just two friends enjoying time together. There was also the other voice, where it constantly badgered my brain to think, there could be something more to it.

I paced up and down the office, while my brain swirled around like cogs, Lily's eyes moved back and forth as she watched me stride around in her office.

"Okay, I got it." I let out in a determined tone. "Call someone who works in the same department as Sarah. Tell them to come up here now."

Instantly, without responding to me, Lily dialled the phone. A few minutes go by and someone finally answers. Lily plainly told the person on the other side to come up. Now it was just a small waiting game for that person.

"All done." Lily responded, pushing her glasses up.

"Great." I exclaimed, letting a shaky breath out. A plan was starting to form in my head. Whether it was a good one or not, today was the day I got to the bottom of the situation.

"While you're waiting." Lily mentioned, grabbing my attention. "I just wanted to discuss a few things about the engagement party."

A huge wrecking ball of realisation came crashing right into me. I had been caught up with preparing for the trial, alongside trying to get to the bottom of what Sarah was up to. My engagement party was like a distant thought. A small gasp of realisation escaped from my mouth.

"Shit. The engagement party. I am so sorry Lily, I just left it to you to sort out." I sighed, shaking my head.

"Oh, don't worry about it. I've been on top of everything. I just wanted to check if next Saturday is good for you and Alexander. Also, I have an idea on the guest list, but is there anyone I should exclude?" Lily reassured me with an excited tone to her voice.

I couldn't help but let out a small chuckle. "Oh Lily. You are truly amazing. Next Saturday is perfect and I don't want anyone associated with Charles coming to the party."

My mouth was forced to say that vile name. Saying his name felt like poison on my tongue. The mere thought of him sent worrying shivers down me. I shuddered at the thought of him. Whoever was associated with him, was not welcome anywhere near our house.

"Perfect. One last thing, I decided that it would be best to have the party at home, is that okay?" Lily asked, scribbling away on her notepad.

"Having a party at home is the best, so yes that's more than okay." I gushed with happiness, I made my way over to Lily and opened my arms to invite her for a hug.