Chapter Thirty

It was clear to me why I loved to work

It was clear to me why I loved to work. Alexander giving me time off was not a good idea. Time went by so slow. Often, I would find myself staring into space, repeating the same tedious tasks, constantly yawning.

This was the perfect time to sort the wedding out, but I had no interest in doing it all alone. It's funny how things changed, the fact that Calum was the one going to work, and I was the one home, virtually doing nothing.

Whilst at home, on one of the days I decided to follow Calum into work. This was bad of me to do, but he had already broken my trust once. He had kissed me goodbye and then left. I quickly followed, making sure I maintained my distance.

Intensely staring at Calum whilst in my car; my body lost its stiff posture and I fell back on the seat. I let out a shaky laugh, realising that Calum does in fact have a job. I was ridden with guilt for even doubting him in the first place.

***

One beautiful morning, the blue sky was accompanied with fluffy white clouds, that slowly drifted with the breeze.

I woke up and decided to spruce up the apartment. Changing into a pair of black joggers and a grey sweatshirt. I tied my hair in a messy bun and got stuck into cleaning.

I felt like I needed to clean to keep me distracted. Distracted from what? I wasn't sure. I needed to keep my mind busy. I started by putting on a pair of rubber gloves and crazily scrubbed the kitchen counters.

Calum entered the apartment, whistling, matching his mood to the bright and beautiful day.

"Hey, guess what!" Calum merrily beamed, skipping over to me and placing a kiss on my forehead. I responded to him by humming as I was focused on my cleaning task.

"I have just booked our honeymoon. Straight after our ceremony we are jetting off to Paris." Calum excitedly tapped on the kitchen counter.

I abruptly stopped, turning up to look at him. "Paris? Oh, wow! That's great. I can't wait." I forcefully responded, trying to smile.

As Calum turned around, the smile on my face faded. Deep down it's wasn't Paris, it's always been the Maldives.

The Maldives for me, was an escape from the city life. The white, grainy sand, with the crystal-clear blue sea, portrayed a sense of peace. The nature from the grass and the trees, made me feel relaxed as if I didn't have a care in the world.

I shook my disappointment out of my head. I didn't want to hurt Calum, so I planted a smile back on my face, going back to my cleaning.

"I remember you were saying that you had pictures of bouquets to show me. What happened to those?" Calum asked dropping himself on the sofa and propping his feet on the coffee table.

"Oh... Yes! The flowers," I mumbled, "I was supposed to show you the day I saw them, but then... You know... That thing happened."

I shuddered at the memory of Charles and Viv. Although I managed to get past it, I still got random thoughts coming into my mind.