Chapter 15

Ankita's P.O.V.

I woke up around five o' clock the next day feeling hungry and cold. I looked at the untouched dinner from last night and frowned. I got out of the bed and wore my warm bedroom slippers. Taking the blanket off the bed and wrapping myself with it to safeguard me from the cold, I went and stood at the window of the room and looked at the dark forest. The freezing cold breeze blew through my hair and froze my lips sending a shiver to the rest of my warm body. I looked at Preeti and then left the room with a shawl and leaving the blanket behind. I walked out of the camp and along the dead road. I went home and sat on the verandah, waiting for the sun to come up. I had the feeling of sitting on Maa's lap with her arms embracing me. It was the most peaceful place I would have ever been in. Without waiting too long, the sun began to rise and warm my body and soul with it's rays. I forgot all my worries in that moment and lived the fullest of it. God knows when I will ever be able to experience it again. As I realised that the sun was completely smiling on this part of the world, I got up and left. Walking along the road, I met people jogging or outside for their morning walks and the place was a bit more lively. "Ma'am!" a voice stopped me saying. I stopped and looked at me newest made friend, the tea vendor. "Hi!" I said with a smile. "Ma'am, won't you have tea today?" he asked. My smile only got wider and I said, "But I don't have money for you today." "It's alright ma'am. I am also feeling for a strong ginger tea," he said making the offer more tempting to me. I sighed and said, "Ok!" I sat on the bench and waited for him as he made it. "You know right, how much you have to make?" I said. "Two cups ma'am," he said. I nodded. I rubbed my palms together and smiled at the people passing by. "Here you go ma'am," he said. "Where is yours?" I asked. He picked up the small glass and showed it to me. "Today you won't drink tea from quite there. You have come and sit with me," I demanded. He came and sat next to me. "That's more like it!" I said. I sipped a bit and was impressed once again. "Nice!" I said for a compliment. "Thank you ma'am," he said modestly.

"So, who do you live with?" I asked. "My mother, wife and daughter," he said. "Wow!" I said. "What's your wife and daughter's name?" I asked. "My wife is Smita and daughter is Anita," he said. "Wow! That's so similar to my name! How old is she?" I asked. "Seven," he said. I sipped on the tea. "What's your name?" I asked. "My name is Sandeep but my family calls me Sandu," he said. I giggled and said, "So sweet!" "And yours?" he asked. I stretched my hand out and said, "Ankita. Nice to meet you." He shook my hand. We talked for a while longer until the tea was finished. He stood up and I followed. Handing him the glass, I said, "Brother, I owe you some some money." "No, ma'am. I treated a friend," he said. I was touched. "Thank you," I said. As I was about to leave, he stopped me saying, "Ma'am. As you know, Christmas is coming closer and our town organises a small concert. If I invite you, will you come?" I frowned and remembered when Maa used to bring me every year. "I will surely come," I said with a smile. "Then, I will introduce you to my family as well," he said. "Done!" I said. I left and went back to the camp. Everyone was already set up to start the day. Preeti came to me with a frown and said handing me my phone, "The next time you are leaving without informing anyone, at least please take your phone. Rohan was calling." "I only went for a walk..." I started and took the phone but she turned around and left me. I frowned and called Rohan. "Hi!" I said sadly. "What's gotten into you? I have tried calling you so many times. Where did you leave your phone and go?" he asked annoyed. "I'm sorry. I left my phone in the room and went home," I said frowning. "Are you ok?" he asked. "No Rohan. I'm not. I didn't expect this to go so badly," I said sadly. "Ani, what happened? Do you want me to come there?" he asked getting concerned. "Spot! Come, we don't have all day for you!" Ayaan called me. "I'll talk to you for sure later. I have to go. Bye," I said and hang up. I went to Ayaan's assigned practice spot and began setting up the microphone for him.

He came and looked at me but I didn't have the courage and shame to look at him. I jumped off the stage after doing that and said to everyone, "I'll get some refreshments for you all." I walked away and went to the kitchen. I took some sandwiches on a plate and brought it back for them. "Come on guys, let's start!" Ayaan said. They all took their positions and started while I looked at my phone to message Rohan. As I was typing the message, Ayaan grabbed my phone and said, "While we are practicing, you aren't allowed to be on the phone. Don't you have that amount of sense?" I rolled my eyes and said, "Give me back my phone." Pushing it in his pocket, he said, "Three o' clock." He was going back to the stage but I couldn't take it anymore and walked up behind him. Holding his shirt, I span him around and said sternly, "Listen to me Ayaan Malhotra. I don't care what you think of me or what your problem is with me. You don't have any right of any of my personal things so give me back my phone for I complain to the principal." He gave me a mocked scared face and said, "Oh my! I'm so scared!" This only increased my anger and I pushed my hand inside his pocket to get my phone. He held my hand and tried his best to make me stop but I wasn't going to stop until I get it back. "What are you doing? Stop it!" he said again and again. To stop me, he held my wrist and twisted it behind my back giving me a pain that I held onto his shirt unwillingly. He gritted his teeth and said to me, "Stop it. I will give you back your phone. No need to be this desperate to talk to your lover." "Let go of my hand," I said also gritting my teeth. "I am not fond of holding onto your hand," he said and pushed me back slightly. I held my wrist and rubbed it. He took my phone and handed it to me. I glared at him and went and sat on the log, resting it besides me. I sat and looked at them practice until it was lunch time. They all left for lunch and I took my phone. I messaged Rohan saying, 'I am fine. I was a bit tensed this morning because I went home. But I am ok. No need to worry about me.' 

I was in a lot of pain from everything going on in my life at the moment and got overwhelmed. I didn't want it anymore. My eyes welled up and I sat on the log and cried silently. "Maa, give me some of your strength. I need it badly," I said looking up at the sky. I took a deep breath and wiped my tears. Getting up, I hid my eyes until I reached my room. Going to the washroom, I washed my face but it didn't make a difference to me since I was hurt too much. I should have never burst Ayaan's guitar strings. My anger never gave me a good result. I still don't know why I succumb to it sometimes. My tears flowed for more as I blamed myself for my pain. Suddenly, there was a knock on the door and Preeti called from outside. "Ankita, are you inside?" she called. I wiped away my tears and cleared my throat. "Yeah, just give me a minute," I said trying to sound normal. "Hurry up," she said. I looked at myself in the mirror and wiped my face. I took some deep breaths and opened the door to find her waiting. Lowering my eyes so that she doesn't see me crying, I said, "I'm sorry. You can go." With that, I left and went back to the practice stage. No one had returned as yet since there was still a half an hour. Someone came and sat next to me. Looking at him, he smiled at me. "Hi!" he said. "Hi Vicky," I said with a fake smile. "I thought you were my friend and shared everything with me. But you turned out deceitful," he said. I looked at him and said, "You are my friend Vicky." "Then why are you giving me this fake smile?" he asked. I frowned and said, "You too must think that I am guilty, right?" "No Ankita. I trust you. I know all that you go through. And sometimes you also get angry and do things. It's just that with Ayaan, it comes back to you," he said. "But I won't anymore. I give up now. I have learnt my place," I said softly. "I won't advise you to give up but you should," he said. I looked at him nodding. "Only because I don't want you to get hurt anymore. You know that it backfires because you can't fully hate anyone even if you wish," he said. "I never knew that you understand me this much," I said with a smile.

"I do," he said. Holding my hand, he said, "And don't ever think that you are in this alone. I am with you." I nodded and hugged him. "Feeling better?" he asked. I nodded. "Then, I'll bring some food for you. I know that you haven't had any food since last night," he said. "Thank you," I said as he stood up. He went and brought back some food for me. I ate and felt much better. After the lunch break was finished, I felt much better and did my work very productively. At three o' clock, the practice was over and I went to town for some shopping for the annual Christmas concert in town. While going back, I decided to stop by at Uncle Jason's music shop. Opening the door and entering, I said with a chirpy tone, "Hi hi!" He was surprised to see me and hugged me. "What are you doing here at this time?" he asked. "I came to do some shopping. I thought about meeting you and giving you a surprise," I said. "I'm glad you're here," he said. "So, what can I help with?" I asked. "You came to meet me or work?" he asked. "Since I am here, let me help with something," I said. "I am deciding on what is going on with this piano," he said. "What happened?" I asked. "The keys aren't sound good enough for the show," he said. "Let me try," I said and sat next to him. I pulled a chord and the piano sounded off. After playing's Maa's tune, I said, "It's sounding perfect." "I know. Perhaps it needed your touch. You still play so beautifully," he said. Shaking my head, I said, "Don't give me that compliment. I am out of practice. I could only play this tune well." Saying that, I remembered something and played the tune of whistling I heard the night. "Where did you hear this?" he asked. "I heard someone whistling it the other night," I said. "It's nice and unique," he said. "Isn't it!" I said and played it again. It sounded beautifully on the piano. "Wait a minute," he said and stood up, "Why don't you play the piano at the concert?" I looked at him struck with the sudden suggestion and said, "No Uncle. You know my stage fright."

"You still have stage fright?" he asked surprised. I nodded. "But we all know you and it's not like the first time you will play at the concert," he said. I was hesitant and said, "I don't know Uncle." "Just think about how happy your mother will be with this. And how surprise everyone will be to see you," he said with a high enthusiasm. I frowned and thought about it there.

___________________________________

Hey guys! Hope you guys liked that update! If you did, please vote, comment and share! Until we meet again! Bye!