Chapter 17

Ankita's P.O.V. 

I sat in my room and thought about what Ayaan told me and left. He really wants to see me losing, doesn't he? Well in that case, he won't get what he wants this time! I am not going to lose for him. I quickly got ready with the new clothes I bought earlier and left the camp. The atmosphere was getting colder and colder. I am surprised that it hasn't started snowing as yet. Normally when it got this cold, it would already start snowing. I walked down the street and reached the main town area where the stage was set up. All the shops around were decorated with lights and looked beautiful, giving me nostalgia. I rubbed my palms together to remain warm and looked around. The air was filled with the aromatics of the food and desserts around, complemented with soft and soothing music to the ears. But as usual, the main attraction was the huge Christmas tree in the middle of the stage, unlit and not fully decorated. It was always tradition to light the tree up just before the start of the program and everyone who brought a decorative piece for the tree to put it. I walked closer to the stage and met Uncle Jason. He looked at me with relief and sighed. "You girl, you scared the life out of me. But don't burse the bomb now that you can't perform," he said. I smiled and slightly turned my head to the left and spotted Ayaan with Preeti. He smirked at me and turning back confidently to Uncle Jason, I said, "Not at all Uncle. I will play for sure." "Nice! I'll set up your piano," he said and left. I looked at Ayaan with some annoyance but not much to spoil my mood for the beautiful night. I strolled along the town for a while before the program started and looked at all the stalls selling all sorts of variety of food, drinks, refreshment, toys, books and clothes. I stopped at one stall and hardly recognised the owner. It was Sandu. Smiling, I went up to him and looked at him surprised. "Wow Sandu! You look so nice!" "Good evening ma'am. I'm glad that you could make it," he said. "I had to come. There is a surprise for you all tonight," I said. "What surprise?" he asked. Dropping my shoulders, I said, "Well if I tell you, it won't be a surprise, right?"

"A cup of tea?" he asked. "Do I have your company?" I asked. "No, but you have theirs," he said and looked behind me. I turned back and saw an elderly woman, a middle aged woman and small girl. Turning back to him with a smile, I asked, "Are they your..." And he nodded. I turned back to them and went to the elderly woman first of all. I embraced her. Breaking the hug, I went to his wife next and gave her a warm hug. Parting from her, she smiled and said, "I have heard so much about you, I was too excited to meet you." "I also heard many nice things about you," I said. I went to Anita, his small daughter and stooped down in front of her. Holding my hand out, I said, "Hi! I'm Ankita!" She looked up at her mother shyly and then held onto my hand. "Anita," she said softly. She was too adorable. I held her in my arms and turned back to Sandu. "I would take three cups," I said. "Right up," he said and got to work. "Come and sit," I invited his mother and wife and we three sat on the bench while I held small Anita on my lap. "So, what do you do?" Smita, his wife asked. "I study in Mumbai. I came to Manali for a college camp concert," I said. "That's nice," she said. "Who do you live with?" his mother asked me. "I live with my father, stepmother and sister," I said. Sandu brought us our tea and we sipped on it as we chatted about some general things. When the tea was finished, I stood up and rested Anita down. "It was nice meeting you all. My day doesn't seem to go well until I have Sandu's tea. Now I know where he finds all the love to make such delicious tea," I said. They all smiled modestly. Turning to Sandu, I took out my purse and asked, "How much? And don't tell me that you won't take money!" "This is really not necessary," his mother said behind me. "I know it's not necessary. No one pays a brother for tea but I can't incur him a loss," I said. I took out some money and handed it in her hand. "Sandu won't accept it but you accept it. Think of it as I am buying myself a grandmother. I never experienced a grandmother's love. But I'm sure that the love I got from you is something similar," I said. 

"You want to buy a grandmother? Not possible! You earned yourself a grandmother," she said and gave back the money in my hand saying, "Take this as your first gift from your grandmother." I hugged her when Uncle Jason came to me. "Are you ready?" he asked. I nodded and said to Sandu and his family, "I'll check you all later." I left with Uncle Jason and went to the back of the stage. "Are you sure that you are able to do this?" I heard from behind me. I turned and looked at Ayaan biting into an apple. Without saying anything, I glared at him and then turned back. "Let's go," Uncle Jason said and went on the stage. "Welcome everyone to our annual Christmas program! As per tradition, we are about to light the Christmas tree to officially start the program so please join me," Uncle Jason said and went to the tree. He plugged the lights and the tree lit beautifully! I stopped just one step below and my heart began to race. "You can do this Ankita! Believe it!" I said and exhaled all the nervousness I had piled up inside me and went onto the stage. I stood next to Uncle Jason and looked at the people I knew, dispersed here and there between strangers. My confidence then began to lower and I felt upset. "Here's presenting, Ankita!" Uncle Jason announced and everyone applauded. My heart throbbed in my ribcage and I began to feel dizzy not literally but in my head. My palms were cold sweating and my jaw trembled. My knees felt weak and I looked at the crowd looking at me and waiting. I couldn't do this! I turned around and began walking off the stage when one voice stopped me shouting, "Ankita!! Ankita! Ankita!" I turned around and saw Ayaan cheering for me, leaving me speechless. Soon, everyone joined in and all I could see and hear was people calling my name and encouraging me. Uncle Jason looked at me with a smile and tears in his eyes. I slowly walked back to him and looked at everyone but mostly, at Ayaan who started it. What was he up to? First he tried to discourage me and now he's cheering me! "Come on Ankita! You can do it!" Uncle Jason said to me. I looked at him and felt a new confidence inside me built up. I smiled and went and sat at the piano. 

"Yayy!!" everyone exclaimed and applauded my move. Looking at the piano, I closed my eyes and the image of my mother came before me and gave me a thumbs up. I opened my eyes and looked up at the sky. "I know you're with me," I said. I sighed as I opened the musical notes book and looked at the first song for the night. "For our first presentation, please welcome, the students of the Manali junior school!" Uncle Jason said. Everyone clapped as small people came onto the stage and formed three lines according to their height. They paused and looked at the coordinator at the bottom front of the stage. She gave me a thumbs up and I began playing the first song on the list. Soon after, the children joined with the music and sang most lustily. In this way, I played the piano for the rest of performances not at all feeling nervous because of my stage fright. Uncle Jason came and said, "Well everyone, I would like to heartily appreciate your presence with us tonight." Turning to me, he called me closer. Hugging me from the side, he said to the crowd, "Now, I know that many of you don't know this young lady. But she is familiar with most of you." Everyone looked at each other confused. "She's own very own Ankita from Mount Road!" he said. I looked at some of the people in the crowd surprised and looking at me with smiles. "And for those of you who don't know her, well, now you do!" he said making me giggle. Looking at me, he said softly, "You did justice to your mother's name child. I'm proud of you." He gave me a kiss on my forehead and hugged me tightly. Looking back at the crowd, he said, "I invite you all to stay with us and check out our various stalls! There is something for you!" He escorted me off the stage when I met Aunty Sheila, his wife and one of Maa's best friends. Her eyes glistened with tears as she looked at me. "My baby has gotten so big," she said cupping my face. I smiled and hugged her. "I missed you all so very much," I said. Breaking the hug, she slightly slapped my cheek saying, "Liar! If you missed us, you would have at least come back once to meet us." "I am here now, right?" I said. 

"I don't want to hear anything, you are coming home tomorrow for dinner," she said. "I can't. Not tomorrow at least. I came here with my college for a concert. Tomorrow night's the first performance," I said frowning. She looked saddened and I said, "But I will come the following night. I promise!" She looked at me much convinced and said, "Fine." I looked to my right and saw Sandu and his family approaching me. "I'll meet you in a while," I said and went to meet them. "How was my surprise?" I asked. "You play beautiful!" Sandu's mother said. "Thank you," I said. "But I couldn't do it without your cheering," I said. "You should thank that young man for starting it," he said. I frowned and knew that he was right. If Ayaan hadn't encouraged me, I wouldn't have had the courage to play in front of everyone. I nodded and said, "I'll surely thank him. I'll see you all in a bit." I left and went to look for Ayaan. While walking through the crowd and looking in all directions to spot him, I bounced into someone and automatically sorry came out of my mouth. However, when I looked at the person's face, I was left in disbelief. Rohan stood and looked at me with a smile playing on his lips. I couldn't believe that he was actually in front of me and remained dumbfounded. "Hello!" he said snapping his fingers. I broke out of my gaze and looked at him. Holding his arms, I said, "You are really here? Or I am dreaming?" He smiled and pinched both my cheeks and swung my head from side to side saying, "You are not dreaming!" He stopped and looked at me with a smile. "Rohan!" I exclaimed and jumped on him, hugging him tightly. He wrapped his arms around me and lifted me off the ground and rested me back safely. Breaking away from him, I cuffed his shoulder saying, "What happened to you? Why weren't you picking up your phone?" "I was on the flight," he said. I smiled and threw myself on him again overcame with joy. 

__________________________________

Hey guys! Sorry for the long wait. But I do hope that you all are fine. I am in a new frame of mind today so I won't ask you like normal to vote, comment and share as always but I will ask you to just enjoy life and the book. Thank you! Bye!