Chapter 31

Ankita's P.O.V. 

Ayaan and I were sitting on the log after completing the plate of food. There was nothing but silence between us and it seemed beautiful. Soon, snow began to fall and I raised both my hands as the snowflakes landed on my palms. Looking up like an excited child, I smiled happily like I always did seeing snow. "You like snow?" Ayaan asked. "I am fascinated by snow," I said. He smiled and said, "I can see that." "Snow always remind me of Mom," I said. "Then call her to come to Manali," he said. I smiled sadly at him and said the painful truth of my life, "She's no more." He frowned at me and said, "I am really sorry. Actually, in the news and papers, I see that your Dad is married so I thought..." But his words died out. "It's ok. Mrs. Kapoor is my stepmother," I said. He looked at me seemingly not wanting to say something wrong again and remained quiet. "Do you want to go for a walk?" I asked. "At this time?" He asked. I nodded. "Manali with snowfall in the night is magnificent," I said. He thought for a while and said, "Let's go." We stood up and left the camp together. Walking slowly on the side of the road, I pushed my hands inside my pockets for them to remain warm. "Are you cold?" He asked. I shook my head in a no but he didn't believe me. "Come, let's get some tea," he said. I smiled and nodded. Walking to the cafe, he asked, "Do you ever say no to tea?" I shook my head. "What else are you obsessed with?" He asked. I smiled and said, "I think I told you that before." Nodding, he said, "Cooking, studying and children." "You remember," I said. "But you have so much hidden talent," he said, "Piano, poetry." "I only do poetry for fun, not seriously," I said. "But those words were so beautiful. It felt like only a girl deeply in love can say that so," he said. I looked at him and smiled. "Are you trying to get a confession out of me?" I asked. "Oh God! Are you now realising that?" He said. I punched his arm and said, "Stop it." With that, we reached the cafe and went inside. While standing in the line, I looked at a guy sitting at a table and staring at me with a disgusting and cheap expression. I frowned and looked at him uncomfortable at his stare. I tried to avoid eye contact with him but his presence was making me sick. 

Suddenly, Ayaan's body came and blocked me. I looked at the him with a smile and knew that he understood my feelings. "Thank you," I said. He smiled at me as he covered me, not allowing the man to even glimpse me. After placing our order and collecting it, we paid and quickly left from there. Walking, he suddenly asked me, "Why didn't you order a black coffee?" I looked at him and said, "You know I don't drink coffee." "Hmm...one more secret. Then why did you order it at the cafe?" He asked. I stopped and looked at him surprised that he suddenly teased this topic. Looking at me, he said, "You were outside every store I was inside. Can't be a coincidence. You came to the cafe and in your nervousness, you ordered coffee. Tell me the truth, were you following me?" I looked at him with my eyes big at this right guess. Turning straight ahead, I was about to walk away when he held my hand and pulled me back towards him. "If you were, then let me tell you, I loved it," he said making my cheeks and nose turn red. "What is this? They are romancing in the middle of the road," someone commented and broke our stare. We stepped one step back and I bent my head. "Shall we?" I said. He nodded and we started back strolling. I looked at him with my trust doubling and tripling for him after all he had done and was doing for me. As we reached the small road, leading to Maa's house, I stopped and looked at it. He, who had taken a few steps ahead of me, came back and asked, "What happened?" Smiling, I held his hand and said, "Come. I want to show you something." I carried him to Maa's home and looked at it with my usual tears forming in my eyes. Smiling between the tears, I looked at him and said, "Come." He followed me through the gardens and we reached the porch. Raising the plant pot, I got a spare key and opened the door with Ayaan asking not a question. I opened the door and walked inside. Ayaan slowly followed. Smiling, I looked around the dusty and cobweb filled house which was also filled with my childhood and Maa's memories. 

"This is my childhood home. I lived my life's first seven years here. The most beautiful seven years of my life. The best time of my life. Maa's memory is filled in every corner of this house," I said. Walking to the piano, I sat in front it and looked at it. "The first piano I ever played. Maa was very fond of music. And it came onto me as well. But after I left Manali, for the next fifteen years of my life, I never touched a piano," I said. Ayaan came and stood at the side of the piano and looked at me as I continued, "Maa and Dad met in college. Love at first sight. Maa was from an upper class family and Dad, living in poverty. Neither of their families agreed to their relationship so they eloped and married. Maa left her education incomplete. They settled here in Manali. One year later, Dad left Maa who was two months pregnant with me to travel to America for his higher studies. Maa waited and waited for him to come back but not only him, even his news never came. Three years passed and one day Maa got news that Dad had married another woman. She couldn't bear this. She decided that she will give me her entire life and she did. Four years later, Maa got a heart attack. She passed away. Dad agreed to keep me and I moved to Mumbai, only returning after fifteen years." Ayaan had tears in his eyes as he came and sat next to me. Slowly, his hand held onto mine and I smiled a bit at him. "If you don't mind, can I ask you something?" He asked. I nodded. "Does your Dad...treat you...indifferently?" He asked a bit hesitant. "He's my father. I love him with all my heart," I said. "That's not the answer to my question," he said. Nodding, I said, "I know. But I don't know how to answer that question." "Does he mistreat you?" He asked. "He keeps me like a princess," I said. He smiled at me and was about to get up but I held back his hand and he sat back down. Holding his hand in mine, I said, "You have given me so many reasons to trust you and believe in your love." Holding my hand, he cut me off saying, "I understand your feelings. You are under no pressure." But I couldn't wait anymore and said, "I love you." He froze and looked at me stunned. "What did you say? Say it again," he said. "I love you." His face slowly began to brighten with happiness and I smiled. Cupping my face, he said, "I love you Ankita." My eyes filled with tears and I hugged him tightly. His arms wrapped around me and held me tightly. 

Breaking the hug after a whole minute, he cupped my face and wiped away my tears. "Ankita, your mother is always with you. She is looking at you and is feeling proud of herself that she gave birth to an angel like you," he said and took my hand in his, "I will make you a promise today. Whenever you need me, I will always be there for you. I will always listen to your problems and we will get through them together always." He raised my hand to his lips and kissed my knuckles. Looking at me, I smiled, touched at his promise. Turning to face the piano, he said in his normal voice, "So, can I hear something?" I smiled and also turned towards the piano. Looking at him with a smile, I asked, "What do you want to hear?" "Hmmm...." he thought. "Anything," he said. I thought for a while and then something came to my mind. I remembered the whistle which I always heard at the camp but never got a chance to see the person's face. "I know something, I'll play that," I said. Resting my fingers on the keys, I began playing the tune while Ayaan looked at me. I played it two times and looked at him staring at me. "What's wrong?" I asked. "Where did you learn this tune?" He asked. Smiling, I said, "Isn't it different? I heard a whistle at the camp and I just got hooked on it." Right after I said that, he began whistling the same tune, leaving me surprised. Smiling at him, I said, "I never got to see the boy's face though. Everytime I heard the whistle, it was night and I always tried but never saw his face." He smiled at me and said, "You have seen his face." "I know I have seen his face but I don't know that it's him!" I said. He held my hand and said putting pressure in his words, "Ankita, you have seen his face." Then it slowly came to me. I looked at him stunned. He nodded confirming that he was the same guy. "You are...." I started and he nodded. "Wow!" I exclaimed. "Our story is so strange, isn't it? It feels like a movie we're acting," I said. "Just more beautiful," he said. "How do you manage to do this all the time?" I asked. "What?" He asked. I held his arm and rested my head on his shoulder saying, "Touch my heart." "Just how you touch mine," he said. I looked up at him and he kissed my forehead. I sighed and remained close to him as he played the piano.

Hours passed and we were still in the house. As my eyes fell on his watch, I then realised how late it was and looked at him. "What happened?" He asked. "Ayaan, it's three o' clock," I said. "Yeah, so?" He said. I stood up and said, "So, we have to go back." He held my hand and pulled me back on the seat. "I don't want to go back," he said pouting like a child, "We have just got together. If we go back, what will we do? Go to sleep? And wake up to practice?" I smiled as he wrapped both his hands around me and wasn't allowing me to go anywhere. I rested my hands on his chest and looked at him, while holding my heart, as he began coming closer and closer to me. My heart throbbed in my ribcage and my senses were going crazy. All I could see and think about is Ayaan, Ayaan and Ayaan. 

__________________________

Hey guys! Hope you enjoyed that update! Here's your quote, 'If you truly loves someone, then no matter how long you have to wait, when the time comes, it will always feel like it came earlier than you thought.' Until we meet once again, take care! Bye!