Chapter 23

Ankita's P.O.V. 

I reached Uncle Jason's house with Rohan and they welcomed me just as they did before. The same love, the same affection, the same warmth. I sat at the table with Rohan and was chatting with Aunty Sheila. Holding my hand, she smiled and said, "I am so happy that you joined us today otherwise I thought that you won't have time to come home." "Of course not Aunty. I was dying to meet you myself," I said. Looking at Rohan, she said, "I am glad that you could come too." He smiled feeling shy and nodded. "Ani, you didn't tell me that you will bring your boyfriend too," she said. My jaw dropped at this and I immediately cleared this misunderstanding saying, "Aunty, Rohan and I are best friends. His mother brought me up. To be honest, she took the place and filled the void which Maa left behind in my heart. We are together since childhood and besides, he's soon to be engaged to someone else." "Oh, I'm sorry," she said. "It's ok," Rohan said. Uncle Jason came into the house with some groceries and rested it on the table and dropped on a chair tired. Looking into the bags, Aunty Sheila began scolding him, "What is this? What have you done? I said that you are to buy tomatoes as well. What am I supposed to do with spinach alone?" He looked at her and then dropped his shoulders. She sighed and said, "Old man, I tell you all the time to get a hearing aid!" Their love filled fights always leave me amused. "Aunty, relax. Rohan and I will go to the market and buy the tomatoes," I said. "How can I send you? This old man will get it," she said. "Aunty, look at him. I'll get it," I said standing up. "Fine, I'll give you the money," she said and went away. "Thank you," Uncle Jason said to me. Smiling, I said, "Anytime." Aunty Sheila came back with the money and gave it to me. Turning to Rohan, I said, "Let's go." We left the house and was walking along the road to the market.

Ayaan's P.O.V. 

I was sitting with Preeti a bit more comfortable and having the promised coffee. Suddenly, she held my hand and said, "Look at that." She had a small smile on her face and was looking at something. I also looked and saw Ankita and Rohan together. I frowned. Both of them looked so comfortable together. If anyone didn't know, they will surely think that they are together. "You know, I always tell Ankita that Rohan is the best guy she will ever find. But she always take it in a joking way," Preeti said. "You mean...both of them...together...." I said. She nodded with a smile. "I have never seen anyone care for Ankita the way Rohan does. I am surprised that she doesn't love him in that way," she said. I began to feel a bit annoyed all of a sudden. "Ankita is really lucky to have him in her life...." she said but I heard enough and stood up frustrated and said, "Let's go." She looked at me with a frown and asked, "What's wrong?" I pulled my wallet out of my pocket and took out the money for the coffee and snacks we ordered saying, "I have some work to do at the camp. Please, let's go." "That's ok but today is an off so why do you have to worry about work?" She said. "I don't have anything like free time in my dictionary. Let's leave," I said. She got up and we were walking back to the camp quietly. "Why am I getting so worked up about Preeti's words? Why does Ankita have an effect on me?" I asked myself. Reaching back to the camp, I went directly to my room and sat on my bed. Taking up my phone, I looked at it for a while and then dialed my mother's number. Holding the phone to my ear, I waited for her to answer. "Ayaan! How are you?" she exclaimed answering. "I'm fine Mom," I said depressed. "You don't sound fine to me," she said. "I'm missing you," I said. "Aww....even I am missing you. You are not here so I have to be with your father most of the time. Imagine how boring that is!" she said. I smiled a bit. "Then why don't you come to meet me?" I asked. "Son, you know how busy your Dad is. We can't leave Mumbai," she said sadly. "I know," I said frowning. "But what is the problem? Why are you so depressed?" she asked. I sighed. "Mom, I don't know what's happening to me," I said.

"You are sounding as if you have fallen in love," she said. It struck me hard. Am I? "Ayaan?" Mom called. "Yeah," I said coming out of my shock. "Are you in love?" she asked. "I don't know what's love Mom," I said. "Is she special?" she asked. "She is indeed," I whispered. "Then, you got the answer," she said. "I'll talk to you later," I said and hang up the phone. Am I really in love with Ankita? If I'm not, then why do I get jealous when I see her with Rohan? Why do I worry about her? Why do I always want to be with her? Why does her opinion of me matter so much? I look for excuses just to be close to her. Like for instance, this morning, Preeti was only an excuse to spend time with Ankita. I woke her up so early because I knew that no one will disturb us that early. And even that wasn't enough so I took her away from the camp. Why? Can Mom explain what a man's love is? I don't think so. She will better understand a woman's love. Then whom do I ask for help on this? Dad...? No way! I got up and walked to my window. Looking outside, I couldn't keep calm and just had to get an answer for my mind's peace. I quickly took up my phone and was dialing his number but didn't call. I threw the phone on the bed and went outside. Sitting on the log, I looked around at the groups of people, here and there, chatting with each other. I couldn't take all the chats from around me so I got up and went to my practice area. Sitting on the spot which Ankita usually sits, I looked at the stage and couldn't help myself but to think about her. I won't deny the fact that she means something to me. She is special. But how special? Special enough for I to fall in love with her? Perhaps, but that's the question bothering me. And if I don't get an answer, I will die every moment inside. Later that evening, I sat and waited for Ankita to return. With passing time, the temperature began to drop as well as my patience. My eyes were fixed on the gate only hoping that Ankita will enter now. This feeling of restlessness was killing me inside. Looking at the time, it began to get late. Eleven o' clock stroke and she still didn't return. 

Worry was beginning to build inside me and just as I got up to go and look for her, I saw her coming with Rohan. I dropped my shoulders and sighed. They stood outside the camp's gate and talked. In between, she was smiling and giggling as he amused her more and more. I rolled my eyes and said, "How much will you talk tonight? At least leave some for later." Gritting my teeth, I waited her to come inside. After what seemed like a century, she finally came inside and I quickly sat down to make it look like I was normal. Holding my hands out to the fire, I pretended to warm my body when in reality that wasn't needed since she already made me so angry that the anger warmed me. She looked at me and her footsteps halted. Frowning at me, she turned direction and began walking to her room. I sat there in a bit of awe at her behaviour. She didn't even say anything to me, wave at me, she didn't even look at me with a smile! I got up and ran to stand in front of her before she went into her room. Holding her hand, I pulled her to my rehearsal area without listening to her pleas to let go of her hand and what I was doing. I made her stand in front of me as she looked at me angrily. Holding her wrist, she asked, "What has gotten into you? Why did you bring me here like this?" "What has gotten into you! Do you realise what time it is?" I asked in a scolding manner. "It's only eleven o' clock," she said. "Wow!" I said sarcastically, "Thanks for telling me!" "Ayaan, I don't know what you drank but you are speaking like you are clearly drunk and drunk people don't always talk sense so my advice to you is to go and sleep and we will talk in the morning," she said and walked behind me to leave but I turned around and held her shoulder, stopping her. She turned back to me slowly. "Where were you so late?" I asked. Pushing my hand off her shoulder, she said, "I am not answerable to you." This only made me more angry and I said between my gritted teeth, "Don't test my patience Ankita. Tell me where you were this late with Rohan or you won't like the next way I will ask you." 

Folding her arms, she looked at me with a stern face and tilted head, "Oh really! What will you do? And why should I tell you where I was today and whom I was with? What I was doing or not? Give me one reason please to tell you." Taking a step closer to her, I closed the distance between us a bit and looked at her. Her chest moved rapidly due to her heavy breathing and her nose turned completely red. "I don't know why I waited for you today. I was having coffee with Preeti like normal and after seeing you with Rohan in the market, I got crazy with anger. My entire day passed with only you on my mind. Why? I don't know," I said softly to her. Her face dropped hearing this. "I heard from one person that this is love. But as much as I want it to be possible, it seems impossible," I said. Resting her hand on my chest, she tried to push me back a bit but I wasn't going to let her go until I was finished so I wrapped my arms tightly around her. "Ayaan, what are you doing?" she asked embarrassed. "I'm not going to let you go until you answer my question," I said. "What question?" she asked lowering her eyes. "Why is this happening to me?" I asked. She raised her eyes to me and silently looked at me. "I don't know," she said. Suddenly, someone started flashing a light on us and asked, "Who is there?" It was the Principal! Ankita trembled in fear but I held her in my arms and hid behind a tree. Listening to the footsteps, we waited until it was gone and standing right there, I asked again, "Why is this happening?" Ankita diverted her head to another side and remained silent. "Do I love you?" I asked. That was enough to make her turn back to me but still, I didn't get my answer. Removing one of my hands from behind her, I cupped her cheek and said, "This feeling is killing me Ankita. I need an answer. If I don't get one, then this will eat me away." "Ayaan," she said softly, "I know what love is for a girl. I don't know what love is for a guy." "Then tell me, whom do you love?" I asked. Again, she went silent.

________________________________

Hey guys! I really do hope that you all enjoyed that update! Here's your quote, 'If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.' Think about it guys! Until we meet again, hopeful that you will be in good health, bye and take care!