Chapter 35

Ankita's P.O.V. 

I observed Preeti ignoring and avoiding me from the start of the concert. Everyone had something to do and were running from here to there getting the final touches ready. I was backstage taking off and putting on microphones for all the contestants. Ayaan's performance was next and he came backstage for his microphone. I frowned at him standing last as I attached the mic to Ritu, Rohit, Sam and Jasmeet. Finally, his turn came and stood in front of me. "You look tense," he said to me. I sighed and pushed the small back box in his back pocket of the jeans and he turned to face me. "Preeti is literally avoiding me," I said attaching the mic to his jacket. "Hey," he said holding my shoulders, "Don't stress. Preeti will eventually come around. She's your best friend. How long could she possibly remain angry?" "She's not angry. She is hurt!" I said. "Babe, I know that you are worried but for one moment, can you smile before I go on stage? If I go on stage knowing that you are worried, I won't be able to give my best," he said. Resting my palm on his heart, I smiled genuinely for him and said, "Go rock the stage! I love you." He held my hand and kissed my palm. Resting it on his cheek, he said, "Thank you." "Ladies and gentlemen, may I present the final act for tonight, Ayaan Veer Malhotra!" Vicky, who was the host tonight announced. I smiled at Ayaan and said, "Best of luck." He nodded and turned around. "Come on guys," he said and went onto the stage with his guitar. Looking at me, I gave him two thumbs up. Strumming his guitar, he closed his eyes and remained silent. My fingers involuntarily crossed and I said, "God, be with him." Soon, he began singing and all the lights began flashing. The music was soothing, the atmosphere was perfect and Ayaan's performance was rocking. Looking at him with a huge smile, he sang to the best of his ability and engaged everyone in his heaven. Looking at me, he sang, "Kaise hua...Kaise hua, tum itna zaroori kaise hua(How did it happen? How did it happen? How did you become so important?)." I smiled as my heart raced at his words. Looking off the stage, everyone had their hands in the air and swaying from left to right. It was nothing less than a famous rockstar performing. 

He slowly finished off the song and took a bow. "Oh my God! Once more Ayaan left the crowd eager for more!" Vicky said re-entering the stage, "What a performance! What a performance! Outstanding." Ayaan came to me and both of us couldn't control but to hug each other in happiness. "Oh! You were so good! Brilliant!" I said. Pulling back a little bit, he looked at me with our arms still embracing each other and said, "I absolutely love you." "I love you more," I said and hugged him back with all my love. "Now, I will invite our Principal and judge to come on the stage to announce the contestants moving forward to the next round which will also be the semi-final," Vicky said. Ayaan and I broke the hug. "Can I have all the contestants back on the stage?" Princy announced. Ayaan left me and went back. I was not at all worried about him because there was no way he was getting disqualified. "I would like to say only this, tonight was even better than last time. I could see how much these contestants worked to give their best and they all did. But from these twelve, only eight can go ahead to the semi-final. Unfortunately, we have to book four more tickets back to Mumbai," he said and opened the envelope in his hands. "The names I am going to call will be one from each group. I ask each of them to come forward please," he said. The lights on the stage dimmed and it created a more tensed atmosphere. "Group Red, Smita. Group Yellow, Nancy. Group Green, Danny. Group Blue, Ranjit," he said. The mood began to get sad as everyone knew that they were the ones disqualified. "I'm sorry guys. I know that you all must be very disappointed but we had to let you go," Princy said. They all had their heads bent down and looked dejected. "But we wish you all the best for your future and encourage you all not to think that this competition is the end. You will all go on to become great people one day and this is our faith in you. Thank you for participating," he said. All of them collected a certificate of participation and left the stage. "Come on guys! Let's have a round of applause for our semi-finalists!" Vicky shouted. Everyone applauded them as they came off the stage.