34. betrayal

BETRAYAL

"fuck me, i think i'm going to cry" ashton irwin holds a single tissue to his eye as he watches emma hold her dress up to her chest, admiring it in the mirror.

with a laugh, emma says, "get out! i need to change"

"hey, it's nothing i haven't seen before" he wiggles his eyebrows as he speaks, slowly backing out of the room.

"shut up, can you send maya in here please?"

"yes ma'am" ashton salutes her, heading down the hallway to find maya.

it's thursday afternoon, and the dinner is set to start in a few hours.

only a few more hours of peace until everything bursts into flames.

emma changes into her dress rather quickly, fumbling with the zipper until she hears a knock on the door.

she mumbles a faint "come in" and her eyes widen as luke slips into the room.

ashton was unable to find maya, considering she wasn't there, and decided to play cupid and send the tall blonde instead.

"ashton said you wanted to see me..." he trails off, his knees going weak as he stares at emma in the pretty dress. "you look... wow"

words fail to describe the adoration in this boy's eyes.

the girl smiles, blushing slightly at the compliment. "thank you," she walks towards him, turning around so her back is facing him. "will you zip me up?"

luke's breath hitches in his throat as he grasps the zipper with one hand and places his other on the small of her back.

emma moves her hair to the side, to keep it out of luke's way.

his hand shakes slightly as he tugs upwards, probably slower than necessary, but he liked how close she was to him in this moment.

once she's all zipped up, he collects her hair in his hand and moves it so it cascades down her back.

he clears his throat, signaling that he's finished. emma spins around, smiling wide as she grabs his hand.

"you're dressed a little early, don't you think?" he teases, cocking his head to the side.

"i'm the bride. kinda gotta be there before everyone else. caleb's already been there for an hour with his parents to set up" she says calmly, ignoring the way luke's smile fades as she says bride.

he simply nods.

"do you like my dress?" she asks him, changing the subject.

his eyes scan over the light blue material that hugs her body, there's a slit off to the side that his eyes linger on for a moment extra, before returning to her face.

he shoves a hand into his pocket, gripping the tie maya bought for him earlier today. at the time he didn't understand why she picked light blue of all colors, but now he gets it.

raising the hand that's tangled with emma's, he twirls her. "you are ethereal"

emma's eyes twinkle at his words, her heart beating like crazy.

"my dress doesn't even compare to your sweats" emma jokes, smiling as luke throws his head back in laughter.

"thought i'd do you a favor and not change until the last possible minute. i know how you get around me in a suit" he lightheartedly winks.