04. your voice is like sex

YOUR VOICE IS LIKE SEX

emma was too drunk last night to notice a random car in her driveway, and she passed out the second her face met her pillow.

her alarm woke her up at six-thirty sharp, and, with a massive headache and the strong desire to never drink again, emma decided this would be the last saturday shift she picked up.

saturday's were for sleeping in — not waking up at the crack of dawn.

she did her morning routine a little slower than usual — a quick shower, brush her teeth, get dressed and do her makeup. though she heavily wondered why she even bothered to put on makeup, the five-minute task seemed much too difficult at such an early hour.

emma rummaged through the medicine cabinet, audibly groaning when the bottle of advil was missing. she knew maya must have borrowed it last night, maya was always borrowing emma's things and failing to return them.

it was mornings like these where emma wished she liked coffee, or could at least tolerate it. but no, her taste buds refused to let such a bitter liquid into her mouth without emma wanting to puke.

knowing she couldn't caffeinate her headache away, emma trudged towards maya's bathroom — knowing if her advil wasn't in there she would surely have a fit.

emma wondered why the bathroom light was on, though disregarded the thought when she realized it was nearly seven. maya always woke up to use the bathroom around this time.

don't judge. when you live with someone for so long, you pick up on a few things.

luke used to wake up around seven to make me breakfast every morning.

fuck, stop thinking about him.

truth be told, emma couldn't get the blonde who broke her heart out of her mind. she couldn't use his name, and calling him the boy who broke her heart was a very hurtful but very necessary reminder that he did just that — broke her heart. 

all of the good that emma associated with luke was washed away, as if it never existed. now, when she thinks about him, all she feels is pain.

she thought drinking would make her forget, but it only prolonged the heartache she would inevitably feel.

emma made the conscious decision to focus on one thing at a time this morning, knowing if her mind wandered, it would ultimately always come back to him.

so her manhunt for advil was back on, and luke was shaken from her mind like a bad dream.

she didn't think to question why the shower was running, she just assumed pregnant women do weird shit, like taking showers at seven in the morning for absolutely no reason, and you shouldn't question it.

she barged in without a second thought — a habit her and maya had picked up after sharing a bathroom over the years.

"did you steal my advil?" emma shouted, hoping her friend would be able to hear her over the sound of the shower.

"if you did, just tell me where it is," she searched through the medicine cabinet and under the sink, sighing when there was no sign of anything that would get rid of a massive headache. "maya?" emma asked, a slight twinge of annoyance was perceptible as she spoke.

a wave of satisfaction rolled through emma as the shower was shut off — assuming maya was going to join her on her quest to find painkillers.

the shower curtain was pulled back, and a boy with a mop of blonde curls and a smirk that still made emma weak in the knees was standing, literally naked, in front of her.