19. horny all the fucking time

ashton has just finished his eight-hour shift at the diner, the stench of old french fries lingered in his car — he couldn't get the smell out even if he tried. ashton's typical day consisted of working, taking a short nap, and spending time with his girlfriend.

today, ashton decided to break his routine and drive to michael's house. that small comment he had made a few days prior at emma's apartment was lingering in the back of his mind — he needed to know more.

he had only noticed emma sleeping around his best friend once, maybe twice. definitely not enough to notice a frequent pattern — unlike michael.

ashton could only come up with one solution, something must have happened during their road trip. maybe they shared a bed, maybe they did more.

the whole ordeal was sketchy, and ashton had a gut feeling luke was hiding something from him. emma shouldn't have been the one in danger — it made absolutely no sense.

maya is the girl luke cares about, so why wouldn't he want to get her out of town instead?

regardless, michael knew more than he was letting on, and ashton was greedy for answers.

he parked his piece of shit car in a random parking spot and knocked on apartment 304. he hadn't bothered to let michael know he was stopping by, he figured the red head would just come up with an excuse as to why ashton shouldn't come over.

"ashton — hi. i wasn't expecting you" michael opened the door wide enough for ashton to come in, and the two sat on michael's couch. he had been in the middle of playing a video game and turned the tv off, giving ashton his undivided attention.

michael wasn't surprised that ashton had shown up, if anything he had expected it. but michael knew it wasn't his place to tell ashton anything — especially since nothing had actually happened. there was no need to worry the boy until he was sure there was something to worry about. he just enjoyed messing with luke and emma, while making sure they stayed strictly platonic.

"what brings you here?" michael asked, carelessly draping his arm over the back of the sofa.

"i wanted to talk to you about luke and emma — particularly the road trip the three of you went on"

"ask me anything, i'm an open book" despite michael's confident facade, he felt a pit forming in his stomach. he didn't want to have to lie for his friends, but ashton deserved the truth.

the conversation would end in someone getting mad at michael, so he didn't have much to lose.

"did anything weird happen – between them, i mean" ashton coughed, he had never been good at confrontation. this entire conversation felt awkward and uncomfortable.

"not that i can think of" michael shrugged and chewed on the inside of his cheek — as if that would keep him from spilling something he shouldn't.

"they didn't share a bed, didn't sleep next to each other? nothing?"ashton pushed, the slight arch of his eyebrow forced michael to think that maybe ashton already knew something he shouldn't.

"i mean, yeah. they shared a bed – we all did at some point. there was only one bed so we each took a turn sleeping on the couch" that was the best michael could come up with without intentionally letting ashton know that luke and emma had been cuddled up together.

michael wasn't sure why he was covering for them. maybe it was because the poor girl never slept, and luke had been making it easier for her. but luke also slept better around emma, too.

"and that's why you made the comment about emma sleeping around luke, right?"

"yeah," michael nodded "they both slept really well throughout the trip which was good"