04. leave your girlfriend at home

after failing to persuade her best friend into coming to the bar with her, emma aimlessly walked into the crowded bar alone. she wasn't wearing anything special, just leggings and a sweatshirt. she was here to drink away her problems, not catch the attention of a random boy.

dressing to impress goes out the window when your boyfriend won't be in attendance, and dressing for comfort made the unbearableness of having to leave her bedroom much more tolerable.

both maya and ashton had to work early the next morning, and they insisted on getting a full eight hours of sleep each night, whereas emma could easily survive with four or less. she pushed through all of the sweaty bodies around her and mumbled 'sorry' to the people she bumped into; not like they would remember it anyways.

emma was the type of girl to apologize constantly and for absolutely no reason. someone could spill their drink on her and she'd probably still say sorry. asking her to stop apologizing so much only made her apologize more.

she wasn't sure what she wanted to drink tonight. beer would get her tipsy, but tequila would get her drunk. her mind was full of things she wanted to forget, and her thoughts had everything to do with the blonde haired boy with the irresistible blue eyes.

she decided on tequila, she could hate herself for it in the morning but she wanted to have a good time for once.

she didn't drink often, but when she did, she got absolutely hammered. she was basically the mom friend, she watched over everyone else even if she had to sacrifice her night to do so. maybe that was why her and ashton had hit it off as well as they did; he was like the dad of the group as well.

she finally approached the bar and saw three bartenders. one was frantically running around trying to please the drunk people who didn't know when to shut up, another was looking at her nails as she pretended to listen to an old man talk about who knows what and the last was standing with his back to her while he took orders of the people who had been waiting much longer than she had.

she slipped onto a stool before resting her elbows on the counter and letting a sigh escape her lips. she knew it would be a while before she got a drink, so she made herself comfortable.

"what brings you here all alone on a tuesday night?"

she raised her head - her eyes meeting her favorite pair of blue ones. she was stunned to see luke, behind the bar at that. "you work here?" she choked out. she had come here to escape from luke, not to see him more.

he glanced down at his uniform before smirking at her "how'd you know?" he joked, even though she was in no mood for playful banter. she huffed before lowering her head once more. "oh, come on. you were so sweet to me the last time I saw you here, where did that girl go?" he leaned over the bar and gave her his undivided attention, ignoring all of the people impatiently waiting for drinks.

she ignored him once more, hoping he would get the idea she did not want to talk to him and leave. unfortunately, luke either didn't realize talking to him was the last thing she wanted to do, or he noticed and just didn't care.

luke slid a shot of tequila towards her, causing emma to scrunch her face in confusion "I didn't order this" she flatly stated. shrugging her shoulders and scooting it closer to him.

"I did" he spoke, sliding it towards her once more  "for you. tequila was your favorite, if I remember correctly"

a small smile tugged at her lips, but she refused to let luke know he was capable of making her smile. she drank it in one swift movement. emma decided she would need about four more of those if luke was going to continue making small talk with her.