38. soulmates

SOULMATES

"i will drag you to the damn car if i have to, emma marie"

"god damn it, just let me drown in my misery for five minutes"

ashton yanks the girl's arm another time, groaning loudly when she doesn't budge. emma had insisted on sitting on the floor of the airport, refusing to move until her emotions are at bay.

"misery that you caused" the older of the two mumbles under his breath.

"by all means if you've got something to say, freaking say it" emma plasters a passive aggressive smile on her face.

the boy sighs in defeat, having wanted to keep his personal opinions to himself. but blindly following emma's instructions has gotten them absolutely fucking no where.

"you can't get mad or defensive, alright? you asked for it" ashton points a stern finger in emma's face, watching as she nods.

he joins emma on the floor, eyeing her cautiously as he rests his elbows on his knees.

"you unintentionally hurt a lot of people. you have this weird judgment thing where you think you're keeping someone from getting hurt, which results in everyone getting hurt," waving his hands around as he speaks, ashton tilts his head at the way emma's face is pulled together. "you get me?"

"not sure i follow" she mumbles.

the last thing ashton wanted was to bring up their breakup, but for the sole reason of proving a point and it being a perfect example, he allows it.

"take us for example. you didn't want to breakup with me, knowing damn well you were in the midst of falling in love with luke. so when i got the guts to do it, you pushed luke away in hopes of not hurting me. but i was already hurt, and your actions caused you and luke to be hurt too"

emma shamefully looks away. "i don't get how that's relevant to now"

the boy tilts his head in an accusatory manor. "my point is you think you're making the right call to keep people from getting hurt but you're not. luke's a fucking mess, i'm sure you aren't doing too hot either–"

"i'm doing this to keep luke out of prison, ashton" emma interjects, frowning.

"so he goes to prison for a year for something he actually did, so what? you and him can get back together when he gets out and caleb is out of the picture! i don't see why you're so against it"

"he would be a fucking felon. he couldn't vote or own a gun, and you know how hard it would be for him to get a job? probably couldn't leave the country, either. and what if something happens while he's locked up, what if he gets hurt?"

ashton quickly grows frustrated, knowing that his ex-girlfriend does have a fair point, though he knows luke would want her to leave caleb regardless of what she'd have to do.

he sighs, wrapping a friendly arm around her and pulling her close. he doesn't want to argue or cause emma to feel like everyone is against her, but she needs to weigh her options out with a long-term mindset.

"i've gone through the pain of losing you, alright? and it fucking sucks, worse than prison ever would. wouldn't wish it on anyone. and that boy loves you in a way that i have never seen before. he's in so deep, you both are. stop torturing yourself and tell luke the truth" he does his best to reason with her, praying he can sway her mind.

emma leans gently on ashton's shoulder, letting out a long breath as she shuts her eyes.

"i want to, but i can't ruin his life like that, i would hate myself forever"