44. look at the stars

luke held the piece of paper between his fingers, scanning over the words a few times. "this must have been what michael was looking at, not a list of people he'd have a threesome with"

"um, what?" emma giggled.

"michael told me he had a list of people he wanted to have a threesome with — we were at the top" luke confessed, feeling his cheeks heat up as emma's face twisted into something that looked like she was.... interested.

"don't tell me you'd actually be down for that?" luke arched an eyebrow, knowing the girl tended to have a wild side in bed, but he never pegged her (pun intended) as the threesome type.

"you wouldn't be?" not with michael, of course," emma scrunched her face at the thought. "but someone else maybe, a stranger?"

luke shrugged. he had never given much detail to the thought. mostly because he knew emma would want the stranger to be a boy, and luke would want it to be a girl.

he was dominant and possessive in bed, and he would prefer to keep that just between him and emma.

luke seemed rather uncomfortable with the topic, so emma decided to drop it — leaving out the fact that she's already had one.

"alright the jig is up, you can stop trying to set us up now" luke nonchalantly slams his trunk shut and leans against it.

"oh okay, so you don't want emma to drive back with you then?" michael challenges the blonde with a smirk and an arched eyebrow.

luke strode over towards the passenger side, eye roll entailed, and opened the door. he snatched emma from her conversation with maya and gently guided her towards his car. "you're coming with me, hope you don't mind" he waited until she was situated inside before shutting the door.

"you can wipe that grin off your face, mike" luke spoke.

"where's the fun in that? i'm just so happy that my plan worked"

he gave calum a high five before noticing the sheepish look the boy's face. "what's wrong, cal?"

"do you mind taking ashton with you?" he directed his question towards luke. "it was cramped as fuck on the way here, and we can actually split the group up now"

luke shrugged. he had sort of wanted the time alone with emma, but wasn't going to argue over ashton joining them. "i don't mind"

"great, then it's settled — we'll see you guys back in san francisco" a few waves and goodbyes later, both cars were back on the road.

emma was worried this car ride would mirror the one her and luke shared on the way here — it had been awkwardly uncomfortable with ashton in the backseat, and no one dared to say a word.

luke sensed that emma was living in a thick cloud of tension. he slid his hand over the center console before resting it on her thigh, giving it a gentle squeeze.

emma gave him a soft smile and placed her hand on top of his, mindlessly running her fingers along his skin.

"what happened?" emma's thumb was brushing over a thick cut along the back of luke's hand. it seemed pretty deep, from what she could tell.

the question caught ashton's attention. he leaned forward in his seat to get a better view and instantly knew what emma was talking about.