26. ashton knows

luke loosely grabbed maya's waist to pull her closer, not thinking much of the fact that he felt two bodies beside him. he cracked one eye open and sat up, tousling his hair as he noticed emma was lying next to maya in bed.

maya and emma were spooning, leaving luke alone on the far side of the bed.

luke stifled a yawn and smiled, quietly slipping out of bed so he wouldn't wake up the girls as he walked towards the kitchen.

he felt bad for crashing here and had offered to pay some of the rent, even though emma and maya both protested against it. so he frequently made the girls breakfast as a small thank you.

it was only eight in the morning, and luke was exhausted. he had been up late last night after emma refused to tell him what her and ashton's fight had been about. luke's mind had been racing with thoughts about what happened between them.

luke couldn't shake the thoughts that the argument had something to do with him. even though he wasn't entirely opposed to ashton and emma breaking up, he certainly didn't want to be the sole cause.

"hey" emma softly walked towards the counter and jumped so she was now sitting on top of it, swinging her legs as she watched luke crack two eggs into a frying pan.

"hi — did i wake you up?" luke questioned.

emma shook her head. "i was already up, i didn't sleep much" her voice sounded hoarse, probably because she had been crying for a majority of the night. she didn't want to sleep alone and figured luke and maya wouldn't mind if she joined them in maya's room.

"so, you really weren't joking about stealing my girlfriend, were you?" luke joked and placed a plate of food next to emma.

emma giggled and slid the plate away. "i can't help it if she likes me more than you," she teased "and thank you, but i'm not hungry"

luke narrowed his eyebrows at the girl "that's bullshit, you're always hungry. i haven't seen you eat since yesterday — don't make me force food down your throat, 'cause i will"

emma rolled her eyes, but began eating anyways. luke was sporting his usual smirk once he saw emma had listened to him.

luke had actually been making breakfast for himself, he hadn't expected anyone to wake up for a few hours. but he figured emma needed it more than he did.

luke was staring at the pretty girl on the counter, happy to see that she seemed more joyful than she did last night. while lost in thought, he realized this was something he could get used to — cooking her breakfast and early morning conversations.

emma cleared her throat and gave luke an odd look. he had been staring at her for a a few minutes and he quickly felt heat rise to his cheeks.

emma arched an eyebrow and gave him a look that read why are you staring at me?

"i suggest you start wearing more than just an oversized shirt to bed, it leaves very little to the imagination"

luke's eyes raked over emma's legs, only forcing them away when he heard her stifle a cough.

once she had finished eating, luke filled the space in between her legs and placed a hand on either side of the counter. "do you remember the last time we were in this position?" he asked, cheekily smiling.

emma thought back to the distant memory and frowned. she placed her hands on luke's chest and gave him a soft shove, though he didn't move.

"you can't say things like that anymore, luke" she said quietly.

"why?" he asked. "it's harmless-"

"ashton knows" emma shut her eyes and gripped the edge of the counter.