36. be my mistake

BE MY MISTAKE

caleb was sitting beaten and bloody beside emma in the alley, and she didn't feel the slightest bit bad for him.

she demanded ethan and ashton go back inside, so she could have a brief talk with caleb.

but not before ethan added another bruise to caleb's growing collection.

"fuck," the man says as he dabs his face with a towel. "if i knew he had fucking anger issues i wouldn't have said shit"

emma scoffs out of utter annoyance. "he doesn't have anger issues. what you said was out of line. he was upset and you struck a nerve. if you ask me, you got what was coming to you"

caleb's mouth drops in surprise, having expected emma to back him up considering he was the one who got beaten to a pulp. "you're seriously taking his side? do you not see my face?"

"not my fault you can't hold your own," she says, standing up. "look, i asked to be alone with you for a reason, alright? i'm not saying this to hurt you but... you just need to know where i am right now"

"whatever, emma" caleb rolls his eyes. "just talk quick so i can get to the hospital"

emma pinches the bridge of her nose, and is forcing herself to get through this without crying.

"i don't love you anymore. not in the slightest. my feelings for you have been contorted into anger, and resentment, and even hate—"

"i'm just trying to look out for you!" he exclaims.

"can you not interrupt me for two seconds? damn. i am going to make this as clear as possible for you,"

she takes a deep breath, looking him right in the eyes as her face softens. she isn't a mean person, and even though she has nothing but pure disgust for the man in front of her, she still feels like a bitch for saying these things to him.

"there isn't a doubt in my mind that i want to be with luke. the only reason i am staying with you is to keep him out of trouble. you got that? i hate you for what you're doing and the way you're making me break him, and i will spend the rest of my life making sure you feel every ounce of hate that i have for you. i'll play nice in front of your parents and other people, but when we're alone, i don't even want you to look at me, let alone talk to me. if making me unhappy is what you wanted, then congrats. you did a fucking great job"

emma stomps off, not even bothering to look back as he calls after her.

she needs to tie up a few loose ends at the rehearsal dinner, considering she's been missing for the better half of it.

she chats with her guests for a good thirty minutes, telling her friends she would meet up with them tomorrow because she is the definition of exhausted.

emma met kaykay, briefly, and  it only took three minutes for emma to realize that kaykay and ashton are a match made in heaven.

the two girls got along so well, and emma could see she really made ashton happy, which is all she ever wanted for him.

kaykay loved emma, too. she was so nervous to meet her at first, knowing emma's history with the boy she is absolutely crazy for. but she had nothing to worry about, maya and luke both assured her of that.

and they were right, because even without properly knowing the girl, kaykay could tell that emma was so obviously in love with luke.

it was obvious that he was the only thing on her mind as she was spacing out often as she tried to maintain steady conversations with everyone.