15. homewrecker

HOMEWRECKER

this would be the first of many restless nights luke would have while staying with caleb and emma.

he had been tossing and turning for god knows how long before realizing he was missing his friends (and dog) back home.

but luke wasn't homesick, no. his home isn't a place — it's girl sleeping just a few doors down.

he had stayed in the living room, talking with emma for an hour or so before calling it a night — though he did that more for her sake than his, she looked exhausted and he couldn't help but feel like he was to blame.

events from the previous day were playing on a continuous loop in his mind. the kiss, the fight, his talk with emma, and even the short talk between caleb and emma.

there was a part of luke that was aggravated at caleb's reaction. how could one person be so calm after finding out your fiancé kissed another man? one who is staying in your guest room at that?

it was clear caleb didn't see luke as a threat to his relationship, hence the ever-growing anger coursing through luke's body.

did he want to be seen as a threat? maybe. because that would mean it was obvious that luke and emma had something between them.

in luke's mind, it was crystal clear that he and emma were something — because they both fucking suck at hiding it.

though some people are much more oblivious than others — emma's fiancé being one of them.

sometimes, luke wished he was as heedless as caleb, that way he wouldn't be forced to catch every detail, every touch, every kiss between caleb and the girl he couldn't have.

but he saw everything, and it brought out his bad side. and luke's bad side, especially when alcohol is thrown into the mix, includes starting petty fights with strangers on a rich couple's yacht.

though emma did come fix him up after the fight, so i guess it isn't all bad.

while luke had an uncontrollable rage — specifically provoked when jealous — emma's bad side consisted of getting drunk and making bad decisions, her biggest bad decision being luke hemmings.

but luke didn't care, he wanted her to make more bad decisions, especially if they involved kissing him.

the blonde knew he wouldn't get any shut eye until his mind was at ease, so he decided to FaceTime his favorite girl back home — well, technically he called her temporary babysitter.

"calum! how are you mate?" luke flashed a genuine smile into the camera, happy to see the dark-haired boy cheesing back at him.

"luke! i miss you buddy, it's not the same without you here"

"i'll be home soon" he smiled.

"will you be bringing a certain girl back with you?"

luke heard mumbling and the sound of someone clearing their throat in the background, and his eyebrows furrowed.

"sorry uh, mike is here and so is ashton" the boy sheepishly smiled and allowed his camera to land on his two friends, petunia nestled between them.

luke smiled like an idiot and waved at the boys, who also wore matching grins on their faces.

"hi lukey!" michael stole calum's phone and made kissing noises. "i miss you, these two idiots just aren't as fun as you are"

luke laughed, all uneasy feelings instantly vanishing at the warmness from his best friends.

"i miss you too, now stop hogging the camera — i want to see my girl"