12. cold shower

DAY ONE: 1:16pm

"do you have any threes?"

"go fish"

"you're fucking lying, let me see" michael leaned over to peek at emma's cards and groaned in annoyance when she, in fact, had no threes.

"jesus fuck, I swear you're a go fish wizard or something" Michael exclaimed, throwing his cards onto the small pull-out couch him and emma were currently seated on.

the motel room wasn't the largest, or the cleanest. there was a queen sized bed pushed against the wall, covered in a pale blue comforter. the walls were a boring white, meaning the brown and yellow stains that lined the ceiling and the walls were very noticeable. the tiny pull-out couch was positioned on the other side of the room, in front of a small tv that only played about five channels. the bathroom was laid out as expected— a sink, toilet and small shower decorated it. it could only fit about one person at a time, maybe two if you were able to squeeze into such a small space.

everyone knew that would be a problem, especially since it takes luke at least thirty minutes to fix his hair every day. emma was fully prepared to fight luke for bathroom time. she didn't necessarily have anyone to look good for, considering her boyfriend was back at home, but she still wanted to look somewhat presentable during their trip.

Michael and emma were pretty confident they were in the middle of nowhere, even if luke denied it, stating "he knows exactly where they are". but that was a load of bullshit, and emma saw right through it. he had been acting weird for days now, and she was determined to get it out of him. there was no way running into derek and avoiding all contact with emma was a coincidence—and then he just randomly decides to go on a road trip? emma wasn't nearly as gullible as Michael, and she didn't believe luke's story for a second.

luke was currently passed out on the bed, considering he had been driving all night. since there were only two places to sleep and three of them, then gang decided that each person would sleep on the pull-out couch for a night. since they were only staying three nights, which luke finally decided, it worked.

emma— who was still wearing luke's hoodie, and probably would be for the remainder of the trip because of how cold their motel room was—simply rolled her eyes at his statement, michael was just a sore loser. she took his throwing of the cards as a sign of defeat, smiling triumphantly before stepping off the couch. she winced slightly as the springs made a weird noise as she moved. 

emma tip-toed over to luke, making sure to be as quiet as possible. luke could run wild all night long but he was a bitch to wake up in the mornings, or afternoons considering it was well past one pm.

she heard Michael run into the bathroom behind her and start the shower, which creaked when you turned it on. emma mentally groaned, she had wanted to shower before they set off on whatever adventure luke had planned for them.

she gently began shaking luke, which proved ineffective when he didn't even move. she thought about dumping water on him, but didn't have access to any since michael was hogging the bathroom.

she sighed and contemplated how to wake luke up, he was a heavy sleeper which she hadn't expected. she pursed her lips and began rocking back and forth on her feet until an idea popped into mind.

she jumped on the bed next to luke and sat on him—hard. her legs were hanging off the side of the bed as she sat on his stomach, dangling them out of impatience. he was laying on his back with his elbows behind him propped beneath the pillow.

emma scrunched her face when the boy still showed no signs of waking up.

"wake up, i'm not wearing any clothes"