41. threesome

it was early, too early for the group to be awake. the sun was barely visible and the sound of crickets could still be heard if you were quiet enough.

a few members of the group were scattered around the campground while the others were still passed out.

"hey mate, hold this water balloon for me" calum thrusted a colorful balloon into luke's hand, sporting a cheesy grin.

luke crinkled his forehead, too groggy to process why calum forced a water balloon into his hand, and watched intently as his friend grabbed another balloon from the bucket and threw it at emma, who's back was turned to the pair while she talked to ellie.

she squirmed when the cool droplets came in contact with her skin and quickly turned around and narrowed her eyes at the two boys, assuming luke had been the one to throw it considering he had one in his hand.

"oh, so you can't talk to me but you can pelt water balloons at me?"

she briskly walked towards luke until she was inches away from him, grabbing the balloon from his hands and squashing it onto his head before he could object.

calum rapidly clapped his hands as he doubled over in laughter, "i have such great ideas" he yelled in between fits of laughter.

"seriously, you had to go for the hair?" luke whined and attempted to detangle his freshly damp hair.

"yep," emma hummed. "because i know you freak out when your hair isn't perfectly styled"

"and i know you hate being thrown into bodies of water against your will, keep this up and i just might have to toss you into the lake over there" luke taunted.

"woah — calm down, what's got you so moody this morning?" emma arched an eyebrow and tried her hardest to keep a seemingly cool composure, despite her knees growing weak from the prolonged eye contact. 

"you. i didn't even fucking toss the balloon at you, calum did" luke pointed towards the dark haired boy before bumping shoulders with emma and walking to his tent with a pissed off look on his face.

emma huffed and rolled her eyes. that wasn't exactly the conversation she wanted to have with luke, but at least it was something.

"come on, let's get you dried off" ellie swooped in and locked her arm with emma's, blowing calum a kiss before guiding emma to her tent.

emma was slightly bewildered at the girl, she didn't think they were friends, but she let ellie drag her towards the tent as if they were. maybe it wouldn't the worst thing in the world if they talked.

"so, you and luke, huh?" ellie pushed emma onto the ground by her shoulders and wrapped a towel around her.

"um, kind of, not really — i sort of screwed that up" emma sighed.

"but there was something between you and the brunette, ashton right?" ellie continued to bombard emma with questions.

"how'd you know that?"

"he stares at you... a lot," ellie giggled. "but not as much as luke does" ellie had only been around luke and emma for a short while, but she was quick to notice that luke's eyes were always glued on emma.

"and you're blushing!" ellie squealed. "which means you obviously still like him, so why aren't you together?"

emma squirmed under the towel, she wasn't necessarily ready to tell a stranger her entire life story — even one as nice as ellie.

"we all have things we don't talk about," emma shrugged and tried to dodge the question. "i do have a question for you, though. but don't feel like you have to answer it"