05. tell her i love her

TELL HER I LOVE HER

"didn't i tell you not to be here when i got home" emma shouted at a stunned luke who was sitting on the front porch — guitar in his lap and a pen in his mouth. he would play a few chords and scribble some lyrics into his notebook.

"i thought it was more of a suggestion" luke smirked and set the items on the ground.

emma rolled her eyes at luke's inability to take a hint — she thought it was crystal clear that he wasn't wanted here.

carefully stepping over the items discarded along the steps, emma went inside and was happy to see caleb and maya chatting in the living room.

the two got along quite well, and it truly meant a lot to emma knowing that caleb had maya's stamp of approval.

emma's short moment of happiness quickly faded once she she heard footsteps behind her. knowing she would have to act like luke wasn't the last person she'd want to be around would definitely test her patience.

she only hoped luke wouldn't over stay his welcome. even though she wishes he would just hit the road, caleb already seemed to take a particular liking to the blonde.

"hey, wait up" luke caught emma's elbow before she could join caleb and maya in the living room.

"what?" she sighed and cautiously eyed luke's hand on her skin. he quickly returned it back to his side once he noticed emma was less than comfortable.

"have you, uh, heard from ashton lately?"

he was asking to not only find out if they had been in contact, but to also keep her in his presence a little longer.

"of course not," she shrugged. "have you?"

"nope" luke shook his head.

emma nodded, and the two stood awkwardly in the foyer. ironically, both had plenty to say, yet their minds were drawing a blank as they were face-to-face.

luke couldn't remember the last time he stood in front of emma and couldn't show her any type of affection or throw out a simple "i love you" and he hated it. the dynamic felt so foreign, and knowing it was entirely his fault only made the hole in his heart hurt that much more.

maya decided to rescue the brunette and pulled her into the living room. the routine "how was work" conversation was in full swing as luke awkwardly watched the light chatter unfold in front of him.

emma and caleb were closely sat together on the love seat, while maya occupied the rocking chair. luke could have sat on the couch opposite the couple, though he was waiting for an invitation — feeling like he would be intruding on their conversation if he just waltzed in.

"you can join them, they don't bite"

luke jumped out of his skin when he heard a feminine voice from behind him. he quickly turned to face the girl and furrowed his eyebrows at the stranger in their home.

"sorry — where are my manners? i'm anna" she flashed luke a smile, which he returned.

she was the cleaning lady that had let him in last night, luke remembered now. she looked different in the light.

"right, right... i remember you. i'm luke" he awkwardly waved, seeing that a handshake wouldn't be fit considering the handful of towels she was carrying.

luke couldn't decide how old anna was, though her gray roots gave it away that she was definitely in her late thirties or forties.

she had been working for caleb's family for years, and ultimately decided to stay with caleb once he moved out of his parent's house five years ago. anna loved emma the moment the girls met, and she quickly became a mother figure to emma.