21. lie to me

LIE TO ME

the six words no fiancé ever wants to hear had been mumbled into emma's ear earlier this morning.

my parents are on their way.

the brunette was frantically getting ready, changing her outfit a number of times and making sure the house was clean enough to meet her future in-laws' standards.

emma didn't necessarily dislike caleb's parents, she was actually very fond of them. but the mere presence of the two adults made her nervous.

so nervous that she invited ethan over as a buffer, knowing luke and maya would be anything but.

"someone's at the door" luke stood in the doorway of emma's room, grinning from ear to ear at the flustered girl in front of him. he was remembering how excited emma always was to see his parents, never once was she nervous.

his ego was a little inflated, feeling like he had one-upped caleb in some invisible competition between the two men.

emma's hair was dripping water everywhere, and luke figured she had just taken a shower. he didn't understand why the shower was still running, however.

"do you mind getting it and keeping them occupied? caleb's still in the shower and i still need to do my hair"

luke arched a brow at the comment, now leaning against the door with his arms crossed. "still in the shower?"

"yeah we didn't have time to take two separate ones so we just — yeah, i'm sure you get the picture"

ouch, ego deflated.

"right. i'll just get the door" luke muttered, rolling his eyes and sulking towards the front entrance.

why emma felt the need to tell her ex that she and her new fiancé had been showering together was beyond luke. and while he was confused, he also couldn't deny that he was insanely jealous. but thankfully, he was able to shake the gut-wrenching image from his mind as he opened the door.

"ethan!" luke smiled, stepping aside so the boy could enter. "emma didn't tell me you were coming"

ethan's mouth was slightly hung open, clearly stunned to see the blonde in front of him. "uh, yeah, likewise man" his eyes were still wide as he gripped luke's hand and gave it a firm shake.

"what exactly are you doing here?" ethan asked, not to be rude but to find out why emma's ex-boyfriend was standing in front of him.

"catching up with maya and emma, basically crashing here 'till the wedding"

crashing. it was such a simple word — though not when it's associated with a wedding.

"she actually invited you?" ethan's features screamed confusion as he tilted his head and scrunched his face.

"should she not have?" luke countered, seeing the only way out of this conversation was to answer ethan's questions with more questions.

"well, you guys did have a nasty breakup—"

luke cleared his throat, catching ethan's attention as he spun around to see caleb and emma walking downstairs.

"god i can't tell you how happy i am to see you" emma let out a sigh of relief and practically jumped into her brother's arms.