06. platonic cuddling

PLATONIC CUDDLING

"can you take these to natalie's office?" a short girl with a pixie cut placed a pile of documents on emma's desk, biding a smile before walking off.

emma sighed, knowing her day always got worse whenever she had to visit her superior's office.

she was exhausted and in a sour mood. luke's little run in with the law last night sealed emma's fate of not going back to sleep — she may have been slightly worried about him.

and his little comment sent her mind into overdrive. he indicated that he broke his sobriety because of her, and emma found herself feeling guilty even though she shouldn't.

emma smoothed over her skirt, and after realizing the documents wouldn't deliver themselves, she sucked in a breath and stood up, carefully juggling the papers between her arms as she set out down the hall.

she knocked twice, patiently standing outside of the door until she heard a faint "come in" being spoken from the other side.

emma entered, and observed natalie as she typed away on her laptop, ignoring any signs of another person in the room.

emma awkwardly cleared her throat, snapping natalie's attention from the computer screen to emma.

"i was told to drop these off" emma shifted her weight from one foot to the other, the papers growing heavier by the minute.

"you can set them on the desk and leave" natalie pointed a finger at the edge of her desk, indicating for emma to place them there and scram.

emma obeyed, neatly placing the pile down and turning on her heels.

natalie's cellphone began ringing, and emma cringed at the personalized ringtone.

she was dead set on bee-lining it towards her cubicle, but decided to stay once natalie didn't answer the call.

"how do you know that song?" emma's voice was shaking as she stared at natalie, who had a rather annoyed expression resting on her face — though emma couldn't tell if it was her resting bitch face or the fact that she was legitimately annoyed.

"a friend showed it to me — and the guy who sings it is a total heart throb. the things i would do to that man if i met him," natalie smirked and leaned back in her chair, tapping her nails along her wooden desk. "luke hemmings, ever heard of him?"

"what the hell, maya. it's two in the morning" emma mumbled into the phone. she wasn't asleep, though she didn't know why her friend decided to call in the middle of the night.

"sorry... i always forget about time zones — they really make no sense to me"

emma felt herself laughing, she missed maya dearly and hated that short phone calls were the closest thing to physical contact they could manage.

"why are you calling me you weirdo?" emma smiled into the phone. she had a pretty good idea about why her friend was calling, though she didn't know for certain.

she heard maya sigh into the phone. "did you hear the song?"

emma nodded, slapping her forehead when she remembered maya couldn't see her, and sighed. "yeah, i did"

"maybe it's not even about you-"

"have you listened to it? there's no way it's not about me," emma groaned. "my shirt had roses on it when he dumped me, though he conveniently fudged the story and made it seem like i ended things" emma cackled.